Leaving Broken Culms still living.

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

fedora
Location info: 0

Leaving Broken Culms still living.

Post by fedora »

hello fellow bamboo lovers. I just signed up for the forum and was happy I found it. I live in Eugene Oregon and we had a b ad winter two years ago. We had a freezing rain which took a heavy toll on my Vivax grove, leaving many culms broken. Many still lived so I was hesitant to remove them all for fear the loss of so much top growth would stunt it's recovery. Last years culms were few and most were small. I didn't remove any of the small culms, I just left the grove alone, only watering and fertilizing. This year was much better with numerous culms achieving 3 1/2 inches in diameter and pushing 50 feet (estimated) in height. My question is, should I continue to leave all the culms that are small and those that are broke but still in leafage untill the grove is completely recovered or will that slow the recovery of more large culms? The grove is around 52 feet by 37.

I'm including an older picture just to put a face with my name.

regards and thanks. Fedora
Tarzanus

Re: Leaving Broken Culms still living.

Post by Tarzanus »

Rule of the thumb is, to leave at least 2/3 of the existing growth. I guess if it recovered enough this year, you can remove small shots that will get pretty much shaded out anyway.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hello Fedora, and welcome to the forum. We suffered the same fate in our mature vivax groves this last winter. I chose to remove the culms that were broken simply because of the aesthetics. I had to pass the grove every time I left the house, and I found the mess, and the broken culms to be unsettling. I think perhaps this years shoots were a bit smaller than usual but not by much. I'm glad I cleaned the grove up it looks beautiful, and is calming to the mind.

Your grove is beautiful, and you obviously enjoy its serenity as evidenced by the hammock! I'd cut anything unsightly.

Love your fedora! I bought a Stetson fedora from a really grumpy shop owner in LA recently, paid too much, but I like the look!

Regards,

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
fedora

Post by fedora »

Thanks for the advice. My Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocaulis' I have along side my driveway took a hit too but not as bad. It's heart breaking to have culms pushing 4 inches break.

BTW David, there is a custom hatter here in Eugene that does excellent work if you ever want one a custom fedora made. He ships world wide and has great reviews and his prices are some of the best you will find.

thanks again. fedora
Markz

Post by Markz »

How are you containing it?
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

Beautiful! I envy your grove!
fedora

Post by fedora »

Gerryo619 wrote:Beautiful! I envy your grove!
Thanks, I've been cultivating it over 20 years now. This is the best pic I've ever taken of it. It was at night with a flash and it gave it an interesting look. Unfortunately most of the culms in this pic were broken in past snow and ice storms and had to be removed. Hopefully in another year without a heavy snow or freezing rain it will be back to looking good again.

fedora
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Good job Fedora and welcome to the site :D Your grove of P. Vivax is inspirational to me. I'm on the S.E side of Vancouver Island and I'm sure if I give it some time and nutrition my Aureocaulis could attain some size like your wonderful grove of P. Vivax your growing in Eugene...... I hope anyway

So 20 years you have had that grove? Any special tricks ?

Thanks for sharing !
fedora

Post by fedora »

Van-isle-bamboo wrote:Good job Fedora and welcome to the site :D Your grove of P. Vivax is inspirational to me. I'm on the S.E side of Vancouver Island and I'm sure if I give it some time and nutrition my Aureocaulis could attain some size like your wonderful grove of P. Vivax your growing in Eugene...... I hope anyway

So 20 years you have had that grove? Any special tricks ?

Thanks for sharing !
I doubt I have any special tricks, but I have noticed that my vivax loves wood chips. I've tried leaf mulch and decomposed horse manure, but wood chips seem to have the most beneficial effect. The rizhome's go crazy spreading in it. I can get them free at various places here in Eugene as the City Tree crew has drop off places for public use. I have to load them by hand but thats okay, it's good exercise. I probably over fertilize and water which may contribute to the breakage I get. The biggest culms I've ever gotten, and I measured with a calipers, was 3 7/8ths. Biggest this year, which was a recovery year, was 3 1/2.

fedora
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

"Shredded Tree Trimmings" is what you mean, Boo. ;)