Fargesia murielae flowering

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Fargesia murielae flowering

Post by ocimum_nate »

I was looking over my plants yesterday for shoots, winter damage, and overall health when I discovered my Fargesia murielae had numerous flowers on it. I bought the plant about 3and a half years ago from Lowes. I am 99 % sure that it was a TC plant as it had no larger shoots and all of the growth was very thin. When I planted it had gotten a large amount of new shoots but relatively no upsizing like I usually get with plants

I am just wondering if my plant is a fluke or if anyone else has seen this flowering currently. From what I have read the plant last had a flowering in the mid to late 90' s so most if not all plants out there should be new generation and should not flower again for many years. I guess at this point I am just hoping to get some viable seeds to grow out.
johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Fargesia murielae flowering

Post by johnw »

Yes it started flowering a bit in 1998 here and peaked in 1999 with a few seeds in the next year too. We grew seeds from Susanne in Mass. and the SRGC & AGS in Great Britain a few years before that. Said to have flowered in the 70's in Denmark but that sounds out of whack.

Hope you have a chance to grow some seeds!

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Fargesia murielae flowering

Post by bambooweb »

I recently noticed that mine is flowering this year. I purchased the plant from Bamboo Headquarters about 2008. I will get some photos soon.

Bill