Phyllostachys lithophila info

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Cooper12
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Phyllostachys lithophila info

Post by Cooper12 »

Can anyone tell me about my new bamboo that just came in the mail?
Not much info on the web on Phyllostachys lithophila and it seems fairly rare
Does it do ok in drier climates or need humidity more like Moso.
Vivax , Henon and Bambusoides do well here.
I read it can get up to 4 3/4" Culm and up to 40 feet
Attachments
photo 22.JPG
photo 24.JPG
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Cooper12

Re: Phyllostachys lithophila info

Post by Cooper12 »

on Lesbambous.fr a member mentioned it is the same as Shanghai 1
similar to Bambusoides but much quicker to gain size
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

This says much the same:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

Kew says it's a synonym for P. reticulata and gives a map showing where it's been introduced.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

johnw wrote:This says much the same:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

Kew says it's a synonym for P. reticulata and gives a map showing where it's been introduced.

very interesting . Thank you for finding this
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

This is what I have observed about Lithophila in Middle Tennessee

Lithophila is moderately hardy in our 6b winters, but considerably more hardy than any of the bambusoides that I have unsuccessfully tried to grow. It winter burns pretty badly, but it re-leafs well. Lithophila does lose the occasional culm to winter, but the majority of culms survive. The culms have the occasional geniculation, and rare yellow stripes on the lower segments. The segments are slightly offset from center from one to the next, much like vivax but not as pronounced. As the culms get bigger and taller the alternating offset is barely discernible.

I think 40', and 4.75" dia. is probably possible. Our largest after 8 years is over 25', and 2.5". I measured some cut poles out of the same grove and they were 22' - 25'.

Lithophila grows well in the shade, and really takes off when it breaks through the tree canopy. After it reaches the sun it wanders far and wide, grows really straight and has sized up most years.

The shoots look a lot like vivax, bambusoides, and prominens. The mature shoots have prominent oral setae.

The wood is springy and bends well without breaking. To my hand it does not seem as heavy as viridis, but is more flexible. I can see why it's used as a building material. I'm hoping it will make good backing for bows.
Attachments
100_8102.JPG
100_8098.JPG
100_8095.JPG
100_8086.JPG
100_8092.JPG
100_8094.JPG
Squirrels like them a lot too!
Squirrels like them a lot too!
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

David wrote:This is what I have observed about Lithophila in Middle Tennessee

Lithophila is moderately hardy in our 6b winters, but considerably more hardy than any of the bambusoides that I have unsuccessfully tried to grow. It winter burns pretty badly, but it re-leafs well. Lithophila does lose the occasional culm to winter, but the majority of culms survive. The culms have the occasional geniculation, and rare yellow stripes on the lower segments. The segments are slightly offset from center from one to the next, much like vivax but not as pronounced. As the culms get bigger and taller the alternating offset is barely discernible.

I think 40', and 4.75" dia. is probably possible. Our largest after 8 years is over 25', and 2.5". I measured some cut poles out of the same grove and they were 22' - 25'.

Lithophila grows well in the shade, and really takes off when it breaks through the tree canopy. After it reaches the sun it wanders far and wide, grows really straight and has sized up most years.

The shoots look a lot like vivax, bambusoides, and prominens. The mature shoots have prominent oral setae.

The wood is springy and bends well without breaking. To my hand it does not seem as heavy as viridis, but is more flexible. I can see why it's used as a building material. I'm hoping it will make good backing for bows.
Thanks David yes the new shoots your posting look similar to Bambusoides .
I have 4 new shoots pushing on mine. I hope it gets as vigorous as yours . the stripes would be nice too
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country