Re: got my Phyllostachys vivax "Basinigra " today

Post by JWH »

Nice looking plants there!
I_am_Ian
Location info: 0

Post by I_am_Ian »

Congrats on the new plants.

Why'd you decide on those? What are your plans for them?
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

Thank you both. I don't really have a set plan but i know I want one on the slope just above the Northwest side of my house. another will go down below my Henon and BlackStripe. I also have a 25 gallon tub with Bory I'm deciding where to put, Vivax grows real well here and I like the idea of timber bamboo with spots and stripes.

I know vivax Huangwenzhu and Basinigra should get large here and I'm unsure about the Bory as most I've seen around are not all that large up here. Not like what i see on the web :D
Ive seen 1 nice grove of Megurochiku maybe 40ft with 3" canes up here and my friend has a nice Henon grove but its not really gotten any size after maybe 10 years , maybe its the location but vivax will size up I'm sure.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Nice boos you have there. Those vivax are gonna look awesome when they are huge!

Here's my bory, 2nd year in the ground from a medium sized division. I would expect for me here in zone 8ish that it can get to 3" with time.
Attachments
image.jpg
dependable

Post by dependable »

Not only making me envious of your decent weather, but making me thirsty too.
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Yeah we can't really complain about the weather this year in the PNW. 8)
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

our California weather this winter has been amazing. though we only have 13% of our water content we normally have in our snowpack this year.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
mountainbamboonut

Post by mountainbamboonut »

Nice Cooper! Those will be fun to watch, the vivax gets large fast up here so I think across the freeway from me you will do great. Very cool. PS message me so I can give you Craig's number so you can see what all he has to sell you (if needed). If you visit him I'm just down the street so give me a holler and I'll show you my plantings too and what I have going on. Would love to see yours some day too!
mountainbamboonut

Post by mountainbamboonut »

PS Is huangwenzu inversa essentially vivax aureo with a thicker green stripe? It looks so much like Castillon to me but also very similar to my vivax aura. I am hoping in my vivax aureo some of the culms revert to Huangwenzu at some point. I love when I see that! As for rainfall I am so confused, before our last couple of wet storms here I had read that we were at 92% of annual rainfall totals which for us is around 57 inches per year. I know snowpack is dismal but my understanding is that our rainfall totals aren't even off much. I don't know what to believe! All I know is all of the huge conifers here are green as heck, trees are fully leafed out and blossoming and the bamboos are shooting like crazy. If this is a bad situation then I like it! haha.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

mountainbamboonut wrote:PS Is huangwenzu inversa essentially vivax aureo with a thicker green stripe? It looks so much like Castillon to me but also very similar to my vivax aura. I am hoping in my vivax aureo some of the culms revert to Huangwenzu at some point. I love when I see that! As for rainfall I am so confused, before our last couple of wet storms here I had read that we were at 92% of annual rainfall totals which for us is around 57 inches per year. I know snowpack is dismal but my understanding is that our rainfall totals aren't even off much. I don't know what to believe! All I know is all of the huge conifers here are green as heck, trees are fully leafed out and blossoming and the bamboos are shooting like crazy. If this is a bad situation then I like it! haha.
I am not sure on the rain, you get more than we do down here . we get closer to about 45" I think the Huangwenzhu inverse is a similar look to castillon basically its yellow with a green sulcus where as Huangwenzhu is green with a yellow sulcus
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

mountainbamboonut wrote:PS Is huangwenzu inversa essentially vivax aureo with a thicker green stripe? It looks so much like Castillon to me but also very similar to my vivax aura. I am hoping in my vivax aureo some of the culms revert to Huangwenzu at some point.
Huangwenzhu-inversa is more or less vivax aureocaulis with an added green sulcus. As far as I know both huangwenzhu forms are less mutation prone than aureocaulis which regularly reverts to huangwenzhu and plain green vivax and sometimes also sports huangwenzhu-inversa.

I've never seen pictures of mature huangwenzhu-inversa plantings, only moderately large plants.