Large P. Vivax Dig and Transplant

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Cooper12
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Large P. Vivax Dig and Transplant

Post by Cooper12 »

dependable wrote:How are you going to protect new shoots from the goats? They will eat them for sure.

haha yeah goats are about the best defense for spreading bamboo. will definitely need to fence around the area where you want it
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
mountainbamboonut

Post by mountainbamboonut »

That is why God invented hog wire and t-posts gentlemen. Since that thing is not shooting any time soon then I don't need it up this second. It will be fenced off from the goats. I'm probably going to give it a 15x15 area to grow back there and let the goats and chickens destroy anything that pops up outside of it. This will be a fun area to grow some vivax because I am watering it automatically off of the discharge from my well cycling and the soil is rich from all of the goat and chicken manure. And with maintenance free perimeter control (goats) of this planting this could be my only true hands free bamboo planting....plug and play!!
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

mountainbamboonut wrote:That is why God invented hog wire and t-posts gentlemen. Since that thing is not shooting any time soon then I don't need it up this second. It will be fenced off from the goats. I'm probably going to give it a 15x15 area to grow back there and let the goats and chickens destroy anything that pops up outside of it. This will be a fun area to grow some vivax because I am watering it automatically off of the discharge from my well cycling and the soil is rich from all of the goat and chicken manure. And with maintenance free perimeter control (goats) of this planting this could be my only true hands free bamboo planting....plug and play!!

true I can't wait to get my goats.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
mountainbamboonut

Nice! What kind of goats are you getting? We love pygmies. They look super cool cruising around bamboos and they are easily contained unlike larger breeds which get out of any enclosure. We could house our pygmies with a 4 ft. high fence only and they would't get out. Plus they love bamboo foliage and shoots!
T9D

Post by T9D »

lol that goat photo is awesome :lol:
dependable

Post by dependable »

Just curious, are the goats pets, meat, multi-purpose?
mountainbamboonut

Dependable, these particular goats are just pets/weed eaters. We had milking goats before (Nubians) which had amazing milk that tasted like the best cow's milk I'd ever had. It isn't goaty at all when it's fresh, but these two pygmies are sort of glorified pets. We are likely going to do some meat and dairy goats next year though again. Nubians for the milk and boers for the meat. I think they work amazingly (along with chickens of course) with bamboos for eating foliage or shoots and fertilizing. I can't imagine having my bamboos without the goats or chickens around actually.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

mountainbamboonut wrote:Nice! What kind of goats are you getting? We love pygmies. They look super cool cruising around bamboos and they are easily contained unlike larger breeds which get out of any enclosure. We could house our pygmies with a 4 ft. high fence only and they would't get out. Plus they love bamboo foliage and shoots!

I raise Spanish chickens so probably Spanish goats. they are tough and hardy haha.
I may also raise some San Clemente Island goats . hardy and endangered. may get a trio
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country