Jiuzhaigou

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ShmuBamboo
Location info: 0

Re: Jiuzhaigou

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Excellent link there. So as I suspected in my OP above, we can consider the Jiuzhaigous as a separate species from the nitidas. Or at least try to. And of course, how do we lobby to get the ABS to drop the nitida prefix from the Jiuzhaigou species?

Also after reading their entire web site, now I want more bamboo species that they have listed there in the EU! Not that I do not have enough bamboos here already :roll: Anyone have some Far. murieliae Vampire to trade?
Happy trails...
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Add more from the BG web site on these guys. It seems that they have already been genetically tested, and they are indeed not Far. nitidas, though they are closely related.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Fargesia%20 ... arison.htm

F. nitida and F. sp. 'Jiuzhaigou' are very similar, but have enough differences (as revealed by genetic testing) that they should be recognized as separate species. As of yet, they are still not an officially described species (in the name Fargesia sp. 'Jiuzhaigou', sp. is a taxonomical abbreviation for species, meaning they are "undescribed" by botanists).

Though from experiences of several growing these guys in cold climates, I would say that the Jiuzhaigou clones will not tolerate exposures to -20 F. as listed on BG's web site, or the -15 F listed in the ABS. I would guess that they can go down to somewhere around -10 to -5 F.? Steve's all croaked about there.
Happy trails...
steffen

Post by steffen »

F. nitida and F. sp. 'Jiuzhaigou' are very similar, but have enough differences (as revealed by genetic testing) that they should be recognized as separate species
I only believe that after seeing it in a peer reviewed paper. Even F. nitida and F. murielae are very close on DNA Level. A few SNPs are not sufficient for claiming a separate species.
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

steffen wrote: Even F. nitida and F. murielae are very close on DNA Level.
Interesting. Can you send link? Is this research online?
I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
steffen

Post by steffen »

The paper I had in mind is rather old and based on ITS data
Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 30 (2004) 1–12