Rhizome size

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Van-isle-bamboo
Location info: 0

Rhizome size

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Hey everyone I thought It might be Interesting to hear about some of the thickest rhizomes that people have seen or heard of before. I have always wondered how big my vivax rhizomes are going to get in my zone 8 in the PNW. I have seen some that were a little over an inch on a grove of vivax where the culms were about three inches thick and really it was only one that was just popping out of the soil.

I know there's lots of knowledge and wisdom on this board, maybe the the odd pic too?

Have a nice day everyone

Kailey
Rufledt

Re: Rhizome size

Post by Rufledt »

I've seen rhizomes over 1" on parvifolia. I Know I took a picture of it but I can't seem to find it anywhere. The thickest rhizomes were wider than they were thick, kindof oval in cross section. They may have been approaching 2" wide or so, but the canes from the plant were smaller than 3" around.

I'll try to find where the picture went, it was very impressive.
Van-isle-bamboo

Pics would be awesome!

Makes me sure wonder how big they can get under the ground soaking up all the nutrients soil has to offer.
Rufledt

Post by Rufledt »

Here's a picture I found. It's not very good because most of the rhizomes are hidden by the plastic, but for reference the boards on that raised box are 1 1/2". There is only one whip shoot coming out of the lump but the grove was much taller. I don't know exactly the size of the canes on the main plant at the time, steve might be able to chime in here.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Are you positive, the boards look like 1 x 3s? If they're 1.5" then the leaves on that bamboo would be tiny.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Rufledt

Post by Rufledt »

Those are 2x6's. The leaves were pretty tiny, its a shaded parvifolia whip shoot. The newer leaves are a bit bigger, though.
Van-isle-bamboo

They do seem like rather large rhizomes.

Still I'm sure there are some bigger ones lurking around.... I wonder if they can get 2+ inches?
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I've seen mine get a bit larger than 1 inch in diameter while some shoots have approached 1.3 inches last year.

It downsized a bit after the brutal winter of 2013/14, but next year should produce larger shoots than ever before. I believe rhizomes are still nowhere close to their potential size on a mature grove with 3-4 inch diameter culms.
Van-isle-bamboo

stevelau1911 wrote:I've seen mine get a bit larger than 1 inch in diameter while some shoots have approached 1.3 inches last year.

It downsized a bit after the brutal winter of 2013/14, but next year should produce larger shoots than ever before. I believe rhizomes are still nowhere close to their potential size on a mature grove with 3-4 inch diameter culms.

How big do you think rhizomes could actually get then Steve? If supplied with all the right nutrients and water are they capable of maybe matching the above ground culm thickness?

I'm sure there are some answers out there amongst all us bamboo enthusiasts
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I don't think parvifolia rhizomes can get huge, maybe 1.5 inches at max for the highway ones that travel far.

I know some species like vivax, dulcis, shanghai III, and other fat shoot types could produce them over the 2 inch mark. If moso can get to 8 inches in diameter, I would imagine that it could also produce rhizomes exceeding the 2 inch mark.

Why do you need big rhizomes?
Van-isle-bamboo

Hey Steve it's not that I particularly want big rhizomes I was just more curious if anything.
JWH

Post by JWH »

This is the thickest rhizome I've ever come across online. From a mature bambusoides grove in japan.
http://www.bamboovalley.com/images/3%20 ... 20huge.JPG

Can't say I've ever noticed a rhizome here much over 1" in diameter.
Van-isle-bamboo

Now that's what I'm talking about! :shock: :shock: 8) thanks for posting that. All those bamboo haters out there might have a aneurism looking at that pic :lol: