Pickles and stir fry

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

tallgrass

Pickles and stir fry

Post by tallgrass »

Bamboo Pickles, and Stir fry. I haven't posted in a while, but thought I would share some Bamboo edibles. Been harvesting shoots for sale and for our own use. Phy. Dulcis is the biggest producer, but Phy. Atrovaginata is by far our best tasting, both raw or cooked in stir fry. Phy Vivax is great for the size, especially for making pizza slices. BAMBOO DILL PICKLES? yeah, using a cold pack recipe they are delicious and stay crunchy. I've created a monster, just for friends and relatives I have to put up about 40 quarts a year. Would do more if I had the time.
Attachments
DSCN1092.JPG
Jars of pickles.JPG
w shrimp.JPG
tallgrass

Re: Pickles and stir fry

Post by tallgrass »

couple more pics
Attachments
Atro shoots.JPG
stir fry in wok.JPG
stuffed shoot w veggies.JPG
Rufledt
Location info: 0

Post by Rufledt »

those look tasty! You're are making me hungry!!!! do you have any recipes?

For the pizza do you just put the toppings/cheese/sauce on there and bake?
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

You could sell a lot of those at a market, they're brilliant.

Long ago we used canned bamboo shoots and I didn't realize how awful they were, in retrospect they seem to pick up a taste of the tin. Then we discovered the ones vacuum packed in chili oil which are so much better. Yours look as close to the fresh ones as is possible. Well done.
Attachments
IMG-20141209-03907.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
tallgrass

Post by tallgrass »

For stir fry, I just slice them raw and add to all the other veggies. For pizza I like to put them in a shallow pan with Beef, or chicken broth and simmer until they just start to get soft. dry, stuff and bake
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Those look delicious! Would you be interested in a bamboo clock in trade?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Tasty looking. If this was a more active forum, I'd suggest a new sub forum for cooking with bamboo.

Anyway, looks good and interesting. Hope to see more serving suggestions (or stories about attempts to do so..)
Rufledt

Post by Rufledt »

I would totally love a cooking sub forum, or at least a longstanding thread with recipes and stuff. Do shoots work well as toppings on regular pizza? I can think of a bunch of other things I want to try with shoots, but I guess I'll have to wait until I start getting lots of shoots to find out!

As a side note I often wish this place was more active, but I can't generate information to post any faster than I already am! Especially in the winter... stupid winter...
JWH

Post by JWH »

Everything looks delicious!

I can't wait 'til I'm overrun with so many shoots that I'd feel comfortable eating some of them!
tallgrass

Post by tallgrass »

foxd I'd like to make a trade ,but the pizza might be kinda stale by the time it gets there LOL. I would really like to get (or create) more recipes for bamboo cooking, Many of my Asian customers talk about bamboo soup but it's been hard to figure out because most of them have the recipe in their head and don't know how to relay it in English. We do BBQ shoots and shishkabob, for that I usually just baste them with an Italian salad dressing. The next thing for me is to figure out how to make a good bamboo salt. Trying to do it in the oven it just doesn't get hot enough.....Any recipe ideas?
Attachments
Shoots ready for the BBQ.JPG
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I guess you would have to make a furnace for that, and build some kind of steel container in which the enormous heat would bake the bamboo and salt at 1500C and more.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Another interesting recipe would be for bamboo beer or wine. There is mention of that in David Farrelly's "Book Of Bamboo", but not complete instructions. That would be a good use for those who have prolific shooters that are not as tasty.

Anyone ever eat P aureosulocata or bissetti shoots?
needmore

Post by needmore »

dependable wrote:Another interesting recipe would be for bamboo beer or wine. There is mention of that in David Farrelly's "Book Of Bamboo", but not complete instructions. That would be a good use for those who have prolific shooters that are not as tasty.

Yes, both quite tasty, I really like bissetii.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

needmore wrote:
dependable wrote:Another interesting recipe would be for bamboo beer or wine. There is mention of that in David Farrelly's "Book Of Bamboo", but not complete instructions. That would be a good use for those who have prolific shooters that are not as tasty.

Yes, both quite tasty, I really like bissetii.
I've eaten mainly the aureosulcata and used to eat a lot of it before Indiana got daylight savings time. (During shooting season I would wander across the yard before work, break off and eat the shoots. Now during shooting season it is dark. :evil: )
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Leo S

Post by Leo S »

Every year bamboo shoots are a spring vegetable, until all the out-of-bounds shoots are gone. Usually just steamed in a vegetable steamer, like one would do asparagus. Phyllo. aureosulcata is my most frequent victim. Tasty with a slight enough to be attractive bite. I really like P. atrovaginata - it is definitely a little sweeter than aureosulcata with absolutely no bite, but my planting is too small to yield much. I'm thinking about where and how much more atrovaginata I can plant, to have more to eat.