Propagating B. textilis var. Gracilis

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Shiva
Location info: 0

Propagating B. textilis var. Gracilis

Post by Shiva »

Hello Bamboo people
I live in Australia and I am trying to propagate B. textilis var. "Gracilis" from culm cuttings and layering.
I have tried air layering, ground layering and cuttings with low success rate.
I know that it is possible to do it with high success rate because there are large numbers of cutting propagated plants available for sale.

Does anyone have any advice?
I have thought about taking cuttings of and also layering new culms before they branch out.
It's too early to say if they will be successful.

I have contacted everyone I can find in Australia but it seems to be a very secretive business.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I would like to know
1) how old should the culms be?
2) What time of year should propagation be done?
3) single, double nodes?
4) anything else anyone can tell me, even if it's something that wasn't successful so I can rule it out.
marcat
Location info: 28

Re: Propagating B. textilis var. Gracilis

Post by marcat »

Shiva are you shure those are cutting propagated plants and not just small divisions. Textilis is not known for be a good subject for cuttings.
I have tried air layering them and ground layering with no success.
I really do not know any one who has been able to do cuttings with them.
Sorry.
They do real well as divisions, have had almost no losses.
MarCat
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I've propagated Bambusa vulgaris 'Vittata' from cuttings if that helps. Based on what I've heard, read and seen in videos, here is what I've been lead to believe about propagating from cuttings. I think this information is somewhat close to right.

1) The cuttings should be over a year old for best results.
2) Use single node cuttings with the node near the bottom of the cuttings.
3) Fill the internode with water.
4) Be prepared to wait at least a year for them to root.

On the plus side I did have a 100% success rate with the 'Vittata'.

I have had Raddia brasiliensis propagate by burying the culms. BTW, I want to officially declare that Raddia brasiliensis can be propagated by burying the culms. It does take about a year for the culms to root and I wouldn't recommend trying to do it with cuttings since they are so small. I have tried this has an experiment and it worked. I also discovered that the Raddia brasiliensis had also spread to another pot by this method.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Shiva

Post by Shiva »

Hi guys,
That's for the reply.
I am absolutely certain they are cuttings because I have purchased 1000s of them which arrive as cuttings. Definitely not divisions.
From looking at them the original branches are either left on when the cuttings are taken or (and I think this is more likely based on things the supplier has let slip) the cuttings are taken before the first branches come out.
It could also be that they are produced by layering (air or ground) culms before the first branches come out.
I have tried air layering and had some success.

Basically it's costing me a fortune to buy all these cuttings and I want to be able to produce them myself as I have about 70 clumps in the ground which are entering their 3rd growing season.
I also don't like being beaten. The scientist in me (chemist) makes me want to find out.

So basically I know the knowledge is fairly widespread in Australia because there are lots of people producing them but obviously they keep the knowledge to themselves

Thanks for anyone's time who answers this.

Cheers,

Matt
Shiva

Post by Shiva »

Just to add, the other thing I believe to be true is that young tissue is easier to differentiate. Therefore by layering or taking cuttings from culms that haven't branched out yet, it is easier to persuade roots to form from the young tissue.

Just a thought.
I'm kind of convinced that using the culms at an early stage, just after the sheaths fall off is the key here.
The issue is obviously keeping them alive. Therefore layering of some kind might be the way to go.

Thanks,

Matt
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I bought Bambusa ventricosa from Chinese vendor, and I received plant, that was once a cutting. There were some roots, butmostof the roots formed right after it started to form branches. I placed it deeperintothesoil, so the lower branches got buried under the soil, That part rooted before the branches leafed out.

Old stem will most likly not grow roots, but they should soon emerge wheb the nodes start growing. Rooting hormone mayhelpquite a bit.

I actually just noticed that lower parts of the bamboo formed bumps around their nodes, if I place more soil around them, they will grow roogs for sure.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

shiva I have never tried a pre branching culm (shoot basicly) and yes immature tissue should be better at differention than older. Makes a lot of sense. Will try it next shooting season.
oh Vulgaris is so easy to take cutting you almost just need to stick it in the ground and ignore it. Ventricosa is easy too.
MarCat
papagomez

Post by papagomez »

Hello all,

You'll want to check the post at this url:

http://papagomez.com.au/2016/05/how-to- ... -cuttings/

It has detailed information on how to propagate Gracilis from cuttings.

Cheers,
Papa Gomez
Ophiuchus
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Ophiuchus »

papagomez wrote:Hello all,

You'll want to check the post at this url:

http://papagomez.com.au/2016/05/how-to- ... -cuttings/

It has detailed information on how to propagate Gracilis from cuttings.

Cheers,
Papa Gomez
Thank you for sharing this information.