Bamboo Addiction

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Greenfingeredste
Location info: 0

Bamboo Addiction

Post by Greenfingeredste »

As title I cannot break this bamboo habit I have....after getting my moso seed to germinate and losing some to chickens I have gone and ordered 30x Bambusa Nutans Seeds and 10 Black Bamboo seeds......I have a very large garden and already have plans for Barriers to be put down......Also im into looking for a hardy quick growing boo for screening...I don't mind growing from seed as the process fascinates me.. Any help with bamboo scrren type would be awesome...would like some good height 2-4 meters

Can now also add Borinda yunnanensis to the list :D
dependable

Re: Bamboo Addiction

Post by dependable »

In the 4-5 meter height range, Semi-arundinaria yashadake 'kimmei' is a nice choice that should work in your area.

Another pretty choice would be Hibanobambusa tranquillans 'Shiroshima'.

Both of these are interesting to look at and grow pretty well here in USDA hardiness zone 7a. Sometimes the leaves get beat up in the winter, but have not top killed even in bad winters.
Greenfingeredste

dependable wrote:In the 4-5 meter height range, Semi-arundinaria yashadake 'kimmei' is a nice choice that should work in your area.

Another pretty choice would be Hibanobambusa tranquillans 'Shiroshima'.

Both of these are interesting to look at and grow pretty well here in USDA hardiness zone 7a. Sometimes the leaves get beat up in the winter, but have not top killed even in bad winters.

Excellent info...How is the availability of the seeds?(Like to do it from the beginning) or would I be looking to get divisions?
dependable

Post by dependable »

You may have to wait decades for either of those to go to seed (who knows?). Some bamboos apparently go over 100 years between flowerings.

Divisions are the way to go if you want results, the bigger the better.

I have a lot of bamboo, only some recent Fargesia nitidas and one type of Phyllo ever from seed. A slow and tricky process compared to a good chunk of rhizomes with a few culms.
Greenfingeredste

dependable wrote:You may have to wait decades for either of those to go to seed (who knows?). Some bamboos apparently go over 100 years between flowerings.

Divisions are the way to go if you want results, the bigger the better.

I have a lot of bamboo, only some recent Fargesia nitidas and one type of Phyllo ever from seed. A slow and tricky process compared to a good chunk of rhizomes with a few culms.

Agreed but when you do it from seed I find it more satisfying it also helps to learn what and what not to do...But as the seed banks for bamboos are not reliable then I may well look into divisions. Thanks for help
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

greenfingerste:

It might make sense to pay a visit to the Ness Botanic Gardens near Liverpool and Chester. They have a lot of Keith Rushforth's Borinda and Fargesia collections there (by KR#). I'm sure you'll find some "must haves".

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Greenfingeredste

johnw wrote:greenfingerste:

It might make sense to pay a visit to the Ness Botanic Gardens near Liverpool and Chester. They have a lot of Keith Rushforth's Borinda and Fargesia collections there (by KR#). I'm sure you'll find some "must haves".

john
Thank you John.....That place is only like 40 miles away from myself
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Perfect! You should be able to grow all that exotic stuff if your climate doesn't differ greatly from Ness's.

Zone 8b I'd guess.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Greenfingeredste

johnw wrote:Perfect! You should be able to grow all that exotic stuff if your climate doesn't differ greatly from Ness's.

Zone 8b I'd guess.

john

Well according to the RHS zones they have me in zone 9 either way we don't have real cold temps just don't have high humidity during summers although summer just past it was unbearable for about 3 weeks but that's the exception rather than rule. I did some checking to make sure they would be able to take our climate and all being well and I can get them to germinate im sure I can keep them alive and in the ground within a year as prep is well underway with over 5 tons of horse manure in the ground and and mulch sheet over it