Bamboo seeds...

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: Bamboo seeds...

Post by Tarzanus »

I can only say that I have experience similar to fredgpops. I have bought all kinds of bamboo seeds and I've seen 0% germination rate with most of them, including Borinda seeds (I think it was supposed to be yulongshanensis that was supposed to be more cold hardy than other Borindas). Moso is also prone to loose viability within 12 months or so. I planted 100 seeds and got 0% success rate at my first encounter with bamboo seeds. I then ordered the seeds from another seller that guaranteed the seeds are fresh, and germination rate was around 50%. Next year I ordered moso seeds from a Chinese vendor and got germination rate around 80%, after some time in the fridge it dropped to around 50%, later, after one year, I was only able to get several seedlings from almost hundred of remaining seeds.

I was very disappointed with chusquea culeou seeds that were overpriced and in the end, haven't shown any life whatsoever, not even mold.

Problem with bamboo seeds is, that you pay for every single grain and then with some bad luck end without seedlings.