Excavator Mulchers

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

Excavator Mulchers

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Have you guys seen these? I wish I could find the original video that I saw on Facebook that showed tree after tree being swallowed from the top down. A little depressing. This video shows a conifer being taken in this way near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYKg0gbRFns#t=69

Then I got to thinking about all of those people who want to get rid of their bamboo. It seems like this could be the perfect bamboo removal tool, after bamboo lovers coming in mass to haul away divisions. :D

Personally, I fantasize about taking all of the trees out of my yard after the bamboo has grown around them without the damage that would be done be felling trees. Unfortunately, as powerful as this tool seems to be, I don't think it could handle my gigantic Liriodendrons.

On Facebook I made a joke about an artificially intelligent computer sending out an army of these machines to completely deforest the earth, thus making the planet uninhabitable to humans. But I guess recycling your own jokes is kind of pathetic.
sully0family

Re: Excavator Mulchers

Post by sully0family »

There will probably be 3 ordered for a certain yard in Conn. I'm in construction but have never seen that cool accessory
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Dang! I've been on Facebook so much that I keep looking for the like button on responses I like.

I thought about trying to advertise a phony bamboo removal service over there. I wonder if she would have been receptive, or might she actually be threatened by a tool that could make such short work of a bamboo grove? What then would she have to kvetch about?
dependable

Post by dependable »

They have similar attachments for smaller loaders. I bet with bamboo one would end up with a lot of splinters, just like in the chipper. Still, an effective land clearing device, and no more depressing than the final result of cutting & chipping the conventional way. I wonder how long they remain sharp & effective. At least mounted on excavator, you would have a chance at avoiding rocks & abandoned scrap.
T9D

Post by T9D »

They use those around here on rail cars to clean up around the tracks and keep trees back. Seen them used along the highway also. Pretty awesome.