I'm guessing a stray rhizome or?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

sully0family
Location info: 0

I'm guessing a stray rhizome or?

Post by sully0family »

I bought my Spectabilis 3 yrs. ago as four plants spaced two ft. apart which is now about a 25 ft. long and just under 20 ft. in height hedge. I noticed these two culms that are all green and resemble say Nuda. The first culm grew 2 yrs. ago and the next one last yr. This years shoot died. All three in the 10 ft. range and 1/2 inch thick; the third died at that height. Could it be something genetic or maybe a mature clumper rhizome that grew into the spectabilis at the reputable nursery where I bought them since in 3 yrs. there is only 2 culms? I will take a photo. For the record I have missed this site :D
Attachments
CAM00916-2.jpg
CAM00916-2.jpg (61.48 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
CAM00915-1.jpg
CAM00915-1.jpg (55.67 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Leo S

Re: I'm guessing a stray rhizome or?

Post by Leo S »

Your photos are rather dark. Either possibility you posed, a hitch hiking species, or a spontaneous reversion to type, could be the answer. I am assuming by "Spectabilis" you are referring to Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis'.

The photo of the leaves in the second image, looks almost Sasa or Indocalamus like, but without something in the photo to reference size, it is hard to tell. So whether the green culms are a different species or a spontaneous reversion of aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' back to the normal green form I couldn't say.

Phyllostachys aureosulcata is unique in that the waxy coating on the culm is arranged in a fish scale like pattern, not really visible to the eye, but it can be felt. Lightly brushing your fingers downward on a culm will feel smooth and brushing up will feel slightly rough. It is an easy way to tell if your bamboo is aureosulcata, and hence a reversion back to green. Warning, the roughness is wax, if you brush the same culm segment more than once or twice, the heat of your hands will melt and polish the wax smooth. Once you get the feel, it is a unique and quick way to tell if you are dealing with aureosulcata or one of the myriad green Phyllostachys.

Hope that helps.

If you did not want the green form, simply cut it off. Don't let the all green culms develop and produce strong rhizome extensions. When you dig, or repot, remove the rhizome segment forming the green culms. If you do want it, when you dig it up separate the green culm's rhizome from the rest of the rhizomes. There already is an all green cultivar of aureosulcata 'Alata', so I doubt it would be viewed as anything rare or special unless it had some other trait to make it unique.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

It sure is dark. :)

Well, culms seem to be a bit glossy, is their texture rough when you rub them with finger or is it fine, almost glossy. Aureosulcatas all have rough surface, if it's not, It must be bamboo intruder.
sully0family

Post by sully0family »

photo-6.jpeg
It didn't have the texture of the Areosulcata. The leaves are about the same size as my vivax or my red margin. It must be an intruder but it hasn't produced many culms in 3 years; (3) including the dead shoot. I will end up leaving them since they don't do anything to the spectabilis and there a few feet in from the edge.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I see it has larger leaves too. It doesn't spread because it's caught inside the Spectabilis. If you eventually want to ID it and try growing it on different location, you'll have to take it out one day. It does look nice where it is now, larger, darker green leaves.
sully0family

Post by sully0family »

Thank you! good advice. Since the picture was taken from the road, that is the side that I want to control to keep it out of the road. I will probably dig it maybe next year or sooner . I can see it next to the original mother plant