Raddia brasiliensis

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Raddia brasiliensis

Post by foxd »

Is anybody growing this? No suppliers are listed and the minimum tempterature is listed as Unknown. However, there are a number of websites listing it as hardy to Zone 7. I would be willing to give a Monkey Pod or Surinam Cherry Tree to the first person who gets me a Raddia brasiliensis.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Raddia brasiliensis

Post by Roy »

foxd wrote:Is anybody growing this? No suppliers are listed and the minimum tempterature is listed as Unknown. However, there are a number of websites listing it as hardy to Zone 7. I would be willing to give a Monkey Pod or Surinam Cherry Tree to the first person who gets me a Raddia brasiliensis.

foxd,

I think your Monkey Pod and Surinam Cherry Tree are going to remain safely at home with you. The 2 photos in the gallery were taken by Susanne Lucas. That might be a place to start asking questions.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

RE: Raddia brasiliensis

Post by ghmerrill »

I know that meredith has a pic in his book of one, cationed that it is from the authors garden..... he is in Washington I belive, so maybe they will survive in a 7 or 8 zone.... seems unlikely though, arent they a tropical species??? my book "american bamboos" does not have alot of info on them, just that they are from brazil, found up to 1000 meters in elevation.
foxd

Post by foxd »

There have been cases of a tropical plant turning out to be surprisingly cold hardy.

My plan is to grow the plant in a pot until there is enough of it that I can take a division and test it for cold hardiness in southern Indiana. If it isn't cold hardy, then at least I can make it more available to other bambooseros. That is also my goal with the Melocanna baccifera.

BTW, the Monkey Pod and Surinam Cherry Trees make excellent bonsai specimens.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Re: RE: Raddia brasiliensis

Post by bambooweb »

ghmerrill wrote:I know that meredith has a pic in his book of one, cationed that it is from the authors garden..... he is in Washington I belive, so maybe they will survive in a 7 or 8 zone.... seems unlikely though, arent they a tropical species??? my book "american bamboos" does not have alot of info on them, just that they are from brazil, found up to 1000 meters in elevation.
foxd,
If Ted had one you could send him an email asking where he got it.
He is listed in the ABS membership directory. WOW, I found a use for the directory.

Bill
foxd

Post by foxd »

I just got email back from Ted. The picture turns out to be of a Raddia distichophylia and not a Raddia brasiliensis. Unfortunately, he no longer has the plant and does not recall where he got it.

He also mentions that Lithachne is another interesting herbaceous bamboo.

We really need to find or develop sources for these.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Roy

Post by Roy »

foxd wrote:I just got email back from Ted. The picture turns out to be of a Raddia distichophylia and not a Raddia brasiliensis. Unfortunately, he no longer has the plant and does not recall where he got it.

He also mentions that Lithachne is another interesting herbaceous bamboo.

We really need to find or develop sources for these.
I understand "find a source", but what is "develop sources"? :?:
Roy Rogers
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

with extremely small quantaties of some of these oddball boos surfacing around now and again, I would almost bet that the best "source" would be a few seeds scattered in someones luggage on thier way back from central/south america..... not, Im sure, that that has happened.......... :shock:
foxd

Post by foxd »

Roy wrote:
foxd wrote:We really need to find or develop sources for these.
What I was thinking was somehow find a plant, grow and divide it. Then distribute the divisions so that more people have the plant and be sources for it.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Roy

Post by Roy »

foxd wrote:
Roy wrote:
foxd wrote:We really need to find or develop sources for these.
What I was thinking was somehow find a plant, grow and divide it. Then distribute the divisions so that more people have the plant and be sources for it.
foxd,

I kept saying to myself, "What's foxd fascination with this plant?" Then I looked at this description which does add some interest:

Small herbaceous clump-forming bamboos. Leaves numerous, often in crowded ladder-like complements. Exhibit sleep movements, leaves fold upwards at night or under moisture or temperature stress.

Max Ht Ft 2.0
Roy Rogers
foxd

Post by foxd »

There are a lot of bamboo species with interesting characteristics we don't see available. The recently discovered Raddiella vanessiae with culms 2 centimeters tall. And the various Eremitis species the bears some flower spikes underground.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

There will be a 1 qt pot of Raddia brasilensis from US National Zoo, Donated by Susanne Lucas, in the ABS auction in Oct. & Nov. Photos coming soon.

She is also donating:
Eremitis sp. ? - herbaceous - from Lynn Clark - very unusual - 1 qt. pot
Fargesia sp. 'Nanping' - 2 gal. pot

Bill
bambookid524
Location info: 0

Post by bambookid524 »

Cool, thanks for the heads up.
foxd

Post by foxd »

The thread claws its way out of the grave and lumbers across the country side.

I have had some Raddia brasiliensis for a couple of years now and made an interesting discovery today. I was moving some plants around in the basement and when moving one pot I discovered it was fastened to a pot of Raddia brasiliensis. On further examination I found that some of the Raddia brasiliensis had leaned over and rooted in another pot. It looks like propagating it just got easier! :)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

I would love to add some of this plant to the South America exhibit at the aquarium that I work at. Have you ever had it set seeds or is it hard to divide?