Black Bamboo shoot from one pot to the other

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Big john
Location info: 0

Black Bamboo shoot from one pot to the other

Post by Big john »

I have a young black bamboo in a 15 gallon pot. Last year it decided to send a rhizome out of one of the holes in the side of the pot in attempt to escape. So I placed another smaller pot next to the bigger pot and ran the rhizome in the small pot and filled it with dirt. I just noticed that a nice shoot is coming up from the rhizome outside of both pots (in between the pots) and growing out of the of the rhizome mid air.

My question is: What do I do? Let it continue to grow as is? Will it produce roots in the air? Or do I cut it and plant it in the smaller pot? If I do cut it, should I wait until summer?
dependable

Re: Black Bamboo shoot from one pot to the other

Post by dependable »

It will probably not survive on its own. Its best chance would be to cover it in dirt somehow as well. If there is a foot or more rhizome that can be that can be included with shoot, it may survive if you separate it later. (Late summer, early fall).
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

If you are willing to slice up the small pot if needed, I'd suggest cutting the rhizome at the edge of the big pot - get as much as possible, then take the entire rhizome out of the small pot by pulling it back out the hole - if there are other swollen buds though you could snap them off so I'd slice the pot to avoid that. Then replant the whole thing with the green part above the soil line. This was you'll have the most rhizome possible and a cane above ground to fuel future growth.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Big john

Post by Big john »

I appreciate the info. I think I will attempt to see if it will grow from the rhizome for a while longer and then cut it away. I dug down in the smaller pot and the rhizome has taken a deep drive into the pot. So with the rhizome healthy I assume the shoot will stay healthy and grow fairly large until I cut it away.