Moderator: needmore

PBGV MOM
Location info: 0

Help Needed!

Post by PBGV MOM »

Bamboo bordering property, need to ID
image.jpg (65.49 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
Hi...I'm considering the purchase of a home in NC that is bordered on two sides by bamboo which is growing most likely about 20 yrs. it has been managed by knocking down shoots that pop up each spring into the backyard. I have dogs and want to eliminate them from inside the yard. I will not use 'Round Up' as it's carcinogenic.

Can you identify what type this is? Can I get someone to dig a trench...and/or sink heavy plastic...and will it truly in time stop the spread or is it necessary to dig up the yard 4' down? It's very important for me to contain them!

Any and all advice is very greatly appreciated! I hate to lose the home over the bamboo...but it has also popped up at the neighbor's property as well!
Attachments
image.jpg (73 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
image.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
oobmab

Re: Help Needed!

Post by oobmab »

Do you like stir fry? If so you will have a large supply of fresh bamboo shoots. David Fairchild once said that the best way to control bamboo is to eat it. If you're not interested in eating the shoots, they are very soft when they come up once a year; so it is easy to kick them over. Someone on this forum has a dog that likes to eat them, so maybe yours will, too. Other than that, your only option is to put in a barrier. I take it that the grove is not on your potential property (if otherwise, you could cut it down).
T9D

Post by T9D »

If you just mow them they will stay down and slow down more growth. It's pretty easy maintenance and very effective. You can also buy plastic barrier. It's usually 18" or so. That keeps them back just fine. Just search for bamboo barrier. Lewis bamboo sells some.
jd.

Post by jd. »

PBGV MOM wrote:it has been managed by knocking down shoots that pop up each spring into the backyard. I have dogs and want to eliminate them from inside the yard.
In a lawn, errant bamboo shoots can be mowed down, cut, or harvested as they emerge. Now and then, a dog has been known to destroy bamboo shoots with no ill effect except to the bamboo.
moriphen wrote:
So yeah dogs will eat bamboo
So yeah dogs will eat bamboo
A human can do better by slicing the tender shoots in half, peeling, seasoning, and cooking them. ;)
PBGV MOM wrote: Can you identify what type this is?
A photo of the new shoots would help identify the particular species. New shoots often present a bamboo's most distinctive features.
PBGV MOM wrote: Can I get someone to dig a trench...and/or sink heavy plastic...and will it truly in time stop the spread or is it necessary to dig up the yard 4' down? It's very important for me to contain them!
Someone can dig a trench and install an 80 mil (2 mm) HDPE rhizome barrier that's at least 30" deep.

Rhizomes already in the lawn will try to sprout new shoots when cut off from the main grove but will fail every time the lawn mower comes along until little to nothing remains.