2013 ABS Auction

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: 2013 ABS Auction

Post by stevelau1911 »

I've gotten a moso back in 2008 from eBay, and it looked like moso, but wasn't even as hardy as many of the moso seedlings I produce from seed, nor was it even as hardy as the moso bicolor that I have now. I will still consider eBay if somebody appears to be legitimate with good feedback, and looks like they know what they are doing.

I just purchased the fargesia nitida nanping off Bamboo Gardens just because they seem to have more dependable plants as far as bamboos are concerned. I'm also at the point where I wouldn't find much of anything I need off eBay, but somebody else may.
sfrangu
Location info: 0

Post by sfrangu »

I've noticed some of the eBay sellers are nurseries so not all of the eBay sellers are scammers.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I don't think there are that many scammers on eBay. It's just that many of them may not be too knowledgeable about bamboo or other plants, and may not always know what their species are since many species may look similar.

I just bought a bunch of fargesias from Bamboo Garden from Oregon. One thing about buying bamboos, especially if you already have many others in your garden is to check for mites. Even if you don't see mites, it would make sense to keep them apart from the other bamboos, and spray them down with miticide many times over a few weeks.

Steve L
Leo S

Post by Leo S »

Crap. Today is Oct 8, and I just found out about the ABS Auction today, it closed Oct 5. Next year I will have to make sure I check it out sooner. I just put a reminder in my smart phone calendar for 2014. :oops:
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

You certainly should check for mites and other things as well. I have incinerated many culms, leaves, branches and sheaths this year from a big spring order. I have sprayed frequently and spent far too much time dealing with this hideous problem. If I see a single mite in the spring I'll be incinerating every one of the new bamboos.

Make sure to get spray behind every sheath, some of those are very tightly pressed against the culm - Sasa, Indocalamus, Fargesias.

I have been severely restraining my language.....
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

That's one thing I'll make sure I take care of, and I'll be keeping them far away from all my other bamboos for sure since I don't want a major outbreak of mites in my garden. I do have a friend half a mile away where I intend to keep the bamboos quarantined because I want to ensure that I have good plants.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

I am headed home and I will email out the payment and contact information for all of the auctions later this week.
Here are some results and the winners online auction ID.

Borindae Indocalamus victorialis $50
dgking Old Chinese fan $15
hollenback Pleioblastus ? $40
lebeaubamboo P. aureosulcata 'Lama Temple' $45
needmore Sasaella ? $50
shycat Fargesia sp. 'Black Culm' $164

We got 3 of the new introductions. :D
They had a number of new tropical introductions at the live auction.

The Chusquea name will be Chusquea jaquithii(or something similar) and was won by a group of people lead by Susanne Lucas.