New foliage

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

New foliage

Post by johnw »

A shot of Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' taken on the 17th of September. Amazing how many leaves it has put out this year and managed to upsize as well. It has to be about 22ft. Phyllos in pots seem very reluctant to produce masses of foliage and would rather send up new shoots - parvifolia being the exception.

johnw - 22c today and brilliant sun.
Attachments
Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' DB Halifax-20130917-00099.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
dependable
Location info: 0

Re: New foliage

Post by dependable »

I Have noticed that some Phyllostachys culms don't leaf out as much the first year they are up. Then add more second year. This seems more pronounced on P vivax.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: New foliage

Post by stevelau1911 »

I did have a very strong shooting season in 2012 for most of my bamboos, and it looks like those culms are producing the most leaves while the 1st and 3rd season culms don't seem to contribute as much.

I can't really show it well on many of my other groves since the clumps are getting way too thick to separate the culms by year, but the bicolor is still fairly open, so here's the comparison for the foliage of a 2012 vs 2013 culms.

2012: On top of this late shoot which looks more like a culm now, there are 4 out of the 7 spotted rhizomes coming out from directly underneath this 2nd year culm.

2013 Even though these culms are 2-3 times taller, their leaves are still noticeably much smaller and less abundant, especially on the giant 11ft culm. The bushy short one at the bottom happens to be a 2011 culm.