Here's a nice eBay photo

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Here's a nice eBay photo

Post by stevelau1911 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Green-Bamboo- ... 4176eb1a77

I know I've done divisions just like this and succeeded at it sometimes, but I hope this ebayer doesn't expect the average gardener to get something like that to survive especially going into the winter after being stressed out through shipping, even if they have bissetii.

Riskier divisions can be taken with clumpers though. Here's the extent to where fargesia rufa can be pushed and be successful.
http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4412
Rufledt
Location info: 0

Re: Here's a nice eBay photo

Post by Rufledt »

Wow, the photo must have been taken minutes after cutting before the leaves started to curl. I did get a division out of Japonica from an insanely small division, but it was all rhysome, not culm/foliage. I think it was about 4" long and maybe pencil diameter or less. Never thought it would survive, I just trimmed it and left it in the dirt.
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

And did it survive or not?
Rufledt

Post by Rufledt »

The japonica? yeah, i have it in a small pot right now. Only 1 small culm, 5 leaves. It's not growing very quickly, but it's still putting out a new leaf every couple weeks.
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

Must give you such a satisfying feeling, to see how hey grow... slowly or quickly.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I also noticed Pseudosasa japonica doesn't make problems when you divide it. When vole massacred the clump, it left behind unattached portions of rhizome, dead culms and half eaten shoots. Even smallest portions of rhizome had been able to put out a shoot or two. They needed whole summer to get going, but they rooted and eventually started growing. I'm not sure if any of Phyllostachys could survive that.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Yup, very risky division right there. No rhizome and very little root attached. I would prefer a smaller division with plenty of rhizomes. This is something you learn by experience.

My guess is it will defoliate almost completely in a few weeks (similar to the Beijing division I had last year). Luckily, mine managed to survive the Winter (barely), and leaf by leaf, has slowly rebounded. FYI, it survived by putting up new smaller culms that it can support. Existing culms did not survive.