Where can I get real Dendrocalamus Giganteus?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

I_am_Ian
Location info: 0

Where can I get real Dendrocalamus Giganteus?

Post by I_am_Ian »

I'm in the San Francisco area and I am trying to get my hands on real Dendrocalamus Giganteus (quail clone). Most of the local places I've asked do not carry it or can't get it or haven't even heard of it. Any help is appreciated.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Where can I get real Dendrocalamus Giganteus?

Post by bambooweb »

There are a number of sources listed here: http://www.bambooweb.info/ShowSources.p ... BooID=1089
West County Oasis Bamboo Garden in Santa Rosa has the Quail Clone.

Bill
I_am_Ian

Post by I_am_Ian »

Ah, that's perfect, thanks. All my Googling never turned that place up! Kinda pricey though, $250 for a 5 gallon pot. Does that sound about right?
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Try Tropical Bamboo they are cheaper. Have had good service with them.
MarCat
I_am_Ian

Post by I_am_Ian »

I ended up driving to West County Oasis and bought the only Dendrocalamus Giganteus they had, a 15 gallon size of the quail clone. It's now planted in my front yard. I actually removed my entire front lawn (20x20 feet) just to give this thing plenty of room to grow. It will get sun all day long and temps here rarely dip below 30F so I'm hoping it will get gigantic. It is about 9 feet tall with one 1.25" culm right now.
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I live in deep South Texas... and have the Quail clone. I also have almost all the other bamboo people were selling as D. Giganteus. The Quail clone is the only one to get in my opinion. I first heard of that one from Jim Rehor in Chino Hills... outside Los Angeles. He had a business selling bamboo called "RainForest Bamboos" a number of years ago. I haven't heard from him in a while. I then visited Quail Botanical Gardens to see the original. Had to have one. I think Jim actually worked to take care of the one at Quail for a while. I got mine from him.

Good luck with that one in your front yard.... YIKES!!!
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

Ok, so if that grower was having a bamboo business here, in Chino Hills, this means I can also grow bamboo here without a problem. I will look for that business, maybe I'm lucky and it's still around. I live about 8 miles away of Chino Hills.

Mima
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

As Marcat said... one the cheaper places to get the Quail clone is Tropical Bamboo out of Florida. They now carry the Quail Clone for $75 in a 3 gallon pot.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

I_am_Ian

Post by I_am_Ian »

Even though I got my quail clone locally I did end up buying 6 other giant tropical clumpers from Tropical Bamboo in Florida. I bought guadua lesser thorny and Chacoensis, and four Dendrocalamus types. The Parker Giant, Asper, black Asper and Giganteus Florida clone. The climate here is borderline okay for these bamboos as it rarely gets below 30, but can for a night or two every other year. But they are all in full sunlight for just about the entire day and I will water and fertilize them religiously to see what kind of size they will get to.

Anybody know the footprint size of them? I understand the guaduas are considered open clumpers but I'm not sure just how open they are.
boonut

Post by boonut »

I have several Parker Giants that don't ever seem to stop growing. You probably won't have to worry at all about that one freezing. We have had a couple of years where it got below 30 and the Parker didn't even notice. When we get those kinds of temps, it is usually just for a few hours at most.

I didn't have luck with the Guaduas. I had a few different ones. They grew great in pots and in my protected back yard, but at the farm - they bit the dust with a single freeze. I think part of the problem there was they were still young when it froze.

Your area sounds a lot like mine. Basically, I can grow just about anything... as long as they are a little protected the first winter. Even if they freeze back, they come back within a year. One year, my big clump of Bambusa Lako died all the way back to the ground. Within one year, you wouldn't know it ever had problems. I have had Schizostachyum Brachycladum in my back yard for over 5 years now. I usually cover it with a sheet if it looks like it might freeze.

My farm is about two miles from where I live in town. It is totally out in the open... so the quick temperature turns and high winds do quite a bit of damage some winters. This is my fourth year for the Quail clone at the farm in the ground. The culms keep getting larger.

Here is my Parker Giant in July of 2012. I think it has grown almost twice that size since then. I keep putting 3 - 4" of compost all around the base each year.

Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm