trailering bamboo advice

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

oZmonKey
Location info: 0

trailering bamboo advice

Post by oZmonKey »

So as vaguely mentioned in other threads, I'm moving from VA to CO.
Moving company will take 95% of everything for me, but I'll be moving a dozen or so potted boos in a uhaul trailer.

Advice I want is whether to use a utility trailer or a cargo trailer.
I know wrapping the plants in plastic, laying them down and securing in a flat trailer would be ok for a couple days, but I'm not sure how long they would tolerate.
There's more security in a cargo trailer, however there would be little to no ventilation or temp control.

I'll have to load them up on the weekend, I wouldn't start driving till Monday afternoon, possibly Tuesday, so I'm looking at as many as 6 days on/in a trailer before being unloaded.

I've previously carried dozens of 2-3 gallon size plants, plastic wrapped root-balls, in an SUV, but that was only for a day and a half.

I also want to keep these plants potted for now.
pokenei

Re: trailering bamboo advice

Post by pokenei »

I don't have such experience, but I think as long as the plants don't overheat, and that they come with plenty of rhizome mass, then they would be fine.

If your trailer has no ventilation to keep cool, then I'd suggest putting several large bags of ice in there to keep cool. That's how they ship bamboos from Memphis to Toronto zoo for our two Giant Pandas.

Rhizomes are critical when plants are in shock, because that's all they have to fall back on. So, try to preserve as much of that as you can when you dig out your bamboos.
dependable

Post by dependable »

If you use a closed trailer, you would need to leave door cracked open some of the time or plants will bake. They can stand to be tied up and covered on side for several days. Start with a good watering. I would not wrap them tight in plastic, as you do not want greenhouse effect. Maybe tarp down with light colored cloth or burlap, something you can hose down a little for cooling. Open trailer might be easier if you are just putting plants in it. Have a good trip.
oZmonKey

Post by oZmonKey »

pokenei wrote:
Rhizomes are critical when plants are in shock, because that's all they have to fall back on. So, try to preserve as much of that as you can when you dig out your bamboos.
Already potted for several months and doing fine minus the raccoon harassment.
oZmonKey

Post by oZmonKey »

dependable wrote:If you use a closed trailer, you would need to leave door cracked open some of the time or plants will bake. They can stand to be tied up and covered on side for several days. Start with a good watering. I would not wrap them tight in plastic, as you do not want greenhouse effect. Maybe tarp down with light colored cloth or burlap, something you can hose down a little for cooling. Open trailer might be easier if you are just putting plants in it. Have a good trip.
Thanks. The cooking is what I was concerned about.
jd.

Post by jd. »

Park the trailer in shade if you can. 8)
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Use a horse trailer. They are open enough yet provide protection from wind. I moved my boos here from southern Oregon in my ex's horse trailer and it worked great.
Happy trails...
oZmonKey

Post by oZmonKey »

ShmuBamboo wrote:Use a horse trailer. They are open enough yet provide protection from wind. I moved my boos here from southern Oregon in my ex's horse trailer and it worked great.
Exactly. I was scouring craigslist for horsetrailers and almost fell for a scam, but google Emma Kent and Horse Trailer and you'll see other ppl reporting the scam with different details.

I've found cargo trailers with vents to help control the heat. I wonder if the roof vent would be enough. Also thought about carrying a couple 5 gallon water bottles (the water cooler type) strapped in to make it humid. I'm not sure if that would just steam-cook them or if they would appreciate it.