How to keep potted specimens un-raccooned?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

oZmonKey
Location info: 0

How to keep potted specimens un-raccooned?

Post by oZmonKey »

Every single one of my potted boos have been dug into, some completely uprooted from the pot and laying next to it. Other potted plants have been treated likewise. I'm guessing its a raccoon, but don't hack a smoking gun yet.

Is there a sure fire trick to keep these babies un-molested? I'm über-aggrevated right now.
Last edited by oZmonKey on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jd.

Re: How to keep potted specimens in-raccooned?

Post by jd. »

A surrounding steel cage anchored into the ground is often an effective shield.

I've never seen evidence of an opossum, skunk, or raccoon munching on the hot peppers here so a temporary deterrent might be to season the pots with cayenne pepper powder. Creature speak: "Is that a tasty grub I smell? Oh no! It burns! It burns!" ;)
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I was going to suggest red pepper too. Also wood chip mulch seems to help.

Curious: what was in the potting mix? I've found that the pots with Milorganite in them are the ones mainly dug, but sometimes it doesn't matter.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

I have raccoons roaming my backyard also. They're more interested in eating grapes. However, I do notice disturbances now and then on my bamboo mount. It's only compost and mulch, but raccoons are curious whenever they see something unusual, thinking it might be garbage = food.

Lately, there's at least one raccoon that comes by every night and I think it's learned avoid me after I chased it down last week. Before that, it wouldn't even budge when I was standing a few feet away from it. And last year, a whole gang (I counted at least 4) of raccoons came and ate all the grapes and proceed to munch on my musa basjoo! It was a bit intimidating to be honest...they were growling and all. If they ever touch my bamboo, I will get rid of them at all cost. Nothing is off the table!
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

This is purely anecdotal, but have you considered marking the area with cat urine? We have many feral cats and I have not seen a raccoon in over 2 years.
M
jd.

Post by jd. »

moriphen wrote:This is purely anecdotal, but have you considered marking the area with cat urine?
Turning the bamboo pots into litter boxes might also stress the bamboo. :o

Easy going skunks and opossums don't seem to be bothered by friendly cats, so I wonder why a more ferocious and aggressive raccoon would care about a little cat odor with an attractive food source nearby.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Coons could care less about cats, They steel my cats food all the time and I have had a couple bad ass cats. Ratcoons even juvenile ones out mass domestic cats.
some thing in your pots are attracting the Cons. Fish emulsion?
The pepper thing could work, hotter the better.
MarCat
oZmonKey

Post by oZmonKey »

Red pepper has helped, but not entirely stopped the curious critter. I sprinkled some coyote urine powder (supposed to be anti-deer) too.
These were potted in some generic equivalent to miracle-grow with pine bark mulch on top.

I have a ponytail palm on the front porch that has repeatedly been a target too.