Bamboo Vases?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

terrabamboo
Location info: 0

Bamboo Vases?

Post by terrabamboo »

What are the properties of bamboo inner walls as far as waterproof?

Could I leave the bottom node closed and pour water in there with flowers and let it sit for a week and would it leak?

Would you expect to be able to re-use the bamboo vase after it's first use? Would it grow moldy? Are there ways to prevent the mold by some sort of treatment to the inner walls first? (Like soaking it in Thomsons water sealer)
Terra Bamboo
300 acre Bamboo Plantation Project
Focusing on Henon, Moso, Robert Young, Rubro, Vivax and Fargesia
jd.

Re: Bamboo Vases?

Post by jd. »

If you're careful not to split the bamboo when you cut it, it will hold water.
Fresh bamboo without any special treatment may tend to split as it ages.
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

What kind of special treatments are you talking about jd
Terra Bamboo
jd.

Post by jd. »

For example, harvesting only mature culms several years old and then removing their moisture content slowly by drying them in a stable environment over many weeks while rotating them every week or two to reduce warping. Then, applying a thin coat or two of sealer to the dry bamboo to reduce the effect of seasonal changes in humidity from stressing and cracking the bamboo.
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

jd. wrote:For example, harvesting only mature culms several years old and then removing their moisture content slowly by drying them in a stable environment over many weeks while rotating them every week or two to reduce warping. Then, applying a thin coat or two of sealer to the dry bamboo to reduce the effect of seasonal changes in humidity from stressing and cracking the bamboo.

what kind of sealer would you recommend?
and what kind of blade count on a sawblade chop saw would you recommend for cutting the bamboo?
Terra Bamboo
jd.

Post by jd. »

You can cut some bamboo with the equipment you already have to test whether the results are acceptable to you. Go for a blade that's not going to grab and splinter the bamboo during the cut.

Cutting wheels for metal are another option to try, as they tend to use smaller teeth or abrasive alone to cut.
Lindsaybrew

Post by Lindsaybrew »

Mineral Oil, Mineral Oil! It works great to seal the inside. After the cups is dried, or even before if you dribble on the inside, pour excess out and leave out to dry. Muy excellenté!

Make sure to leave out in dry place though. I've had many a cup loss from mold. If a green cup is left out in moist place for too long, it happens. A window sill or sunny place is best.

Most any pharmacies, have mineral oil, and it's pretty cheap.

Happy crafting!
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

Lindsaybrew wrote:Mineral Oil, Mineral Oil! It works great to seal the inside. After the cups is dried, or even before if you dribble on the inside, pour excess out and leave out to dry. Muy excellenté!

Make sure to leave out in dry place though. I've had many a cup loss from mold. If a green cup is left out in moist place for too long, it happens. A window sill or sunny place is best.

Most any pharmacies, have mineral oil, and it's pretty cheap.

Happy crafting!
Great tips, Lindsay!

I was wondering if you have had any luck with a water-leach-bath to effectively remove the starches from the bamboo but to preserve the color (it doesn't fade as quickly to the typical golden color). Basically you stick the bamboo in circulating water/mix (that has to eventually be flushed out every few hours -- I would just pump it out to my bamboo acres as irrigation) for a certain duration (I don't know how long just yet).
Terra Bamboo
Lindsaybrew

Post by Lindsaybrew »

Fandelem,
Nope. I have never heard anything about starch leaching. Intriguing...I googled it. :)

Something else you might want to try on your vase. There are a couple good resins and bar top sealers at Michaels that work pretty well to cover and finish bamboo. With the bar top resin, the water sits next to the epoxy instead of the bamboo. I think water for more than a day or two will always be trouble. But a good waterproof seal (wood bar top resin) will most likely be your best bet.

Also, If you change the water in the vase and then let the bamboo dry out completely, before using again. Also will keep your vase from molding.

Cheers,
Lindsay