Which Ph. bamboo has the highest sugar/sucrose content shoot

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

terrabamboo
Location info: 0

Which Ph. bamboo has the highest sugar/sucrose content shoot

Post by terrabamboo »

OK, another basic question I cannot really find on the internet easily... so I reach out to the community:

Which runner has the sweetest tasting shoots?
Which runner has the highest sucrose content shoots? (might be the same)

I was thinking dulcis.. but maybe someone has some other opinions here?
Terra Bamboo
300 acre Bamboo Plantation Project
Focusing on Henon, Moso, Robert Young, Rubro, Vivax and Fargesia
jd.

Re: Which Ph. bamboo has the highest sugar/sucrose content s

Post by jd. »

I suspect that the impression of sweetness in a bamboo shoot typically corresponds to a lack of bitterness rather than an abundance of sugar. After cooking, I find that the most salient aspect of a bamboo shoot is the tasty texture. :D

Because it doesn't grow here, I've never tasted a fresh dulcis shoot to compare. Anyone?
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

I am actually looking for a sweet(not bitter) shoot raw.
Terra Bamboo
Matt in TN
Location info: 82

Post by Matt in TN »

I have nothing to compare it to, but I do know fresh/raw rubro shoots taste a lot like sweet carrots.
"The Way is in training" - Miyamoto Musashi
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

Matt in TN wrote:I have nothing to compare it to, but I do know fresh/raw rubro shoots taste a lot like sweet carrots.
awesome Matt. I have several rubro's.
Terra Bamboo
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

I was surprised that parvifolia tasted better than anything including dulcis this year, here in Dallas. Mike
Leo S

Post by Leo S »

The only three I have tasted are aureosulcata, atrovaginata, and viridis 'Robert Young'. In order least bite to most bite atrovaginata - very mild, viridis 'Robert Young' - mild, slight bite, aureosulcata - mild, but definitely has a little bite to it. I have eaten all three raw, and often have eaten aureosulcata cooked. Like them all, and to my taste don't mind the bite. But I only have it a few times in spring, then I run out of "Out of Bounds" spring shoots.
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

When you say eating raw......

What about the Cyanogenic Glycosides?

Also, I am considering some sort of fermenting for a psycho bamboo infused vodka/beer/tea beverage. Can you give me any words of wisdom on either one of those processes and which Phy. species to focus on?
Terra Bamboo
jd.

Post by jd. »

fandelem wrote: What about the Cyanogenic Glycosides?
Cyanogenic glycosides tend to confer a bitter flavor. Apparently, our ancestors with the trait of increased sensitivity to its bitter taste enjoyed an evolutionary advantage for many tens of thousands of years.

Soaking and boiling drives off most of the cyanide.
fandelem wrote: Also, I am considering some sort of fermenting for a psycho bamboo [...]
Fermenting and boiling would also drive off most of the cyanide.
fandelem wrote: [...] which Phy. species to focus on?
The general consensus appears to prefer Phyllostachys parvifolia.

Bamboo Garden Nursery lists the following Phyllostachys bamboos as yielding the best tasting shoots:
atrovaginata, dulcis, edulis, nidularia, parvifolia, plattyglossa, stimulosa, vivax
Leo S

Post by Leo S »

cyanogenic glycosides

I have edited this post, hopefully, none of you have read it. :oops: I just read the Australian article on cyanogenic glycosides that ShmuBamboo had posted, said to myself, "I didn't know that", and deleted the post I had written. Basically I dismissed the dangers.

But having read the article, the take away I got was that bamboos with a bitter taste should be cooked before eating. (or otherwise processed) This becomes more important the greater the quantity one eats and the greater frequency. If you are eating freshly harvested bamboo weekly or more, you definitely should be cooking your bamboo. It also made clear that chronic sub-lethal doses of cyanogenic glycosides do have effects, and associated health syndromes. It also made clear, that even in underdeveloped nations these syndromes are relatively uncommon, and are restricted to areas with other complicating dietary and health issues. Low dietary iodine, and or under-nutrition or malnutrition seem to be necessary components.

The other take away was that for people in good health, getting adequate B vitamins, dietary iodine, and are otherwise in a state of good health and nutrition, occasional raw fresh bamboo poses essentially no threat at all. The bamboo the article tested was Moso. This was the standard. The article stated that the 'bite' or 'bitter' flavor of the shoots does correlate with cyanogenic glycoside content. So, the shoots listed as being less bitter than Moso, have less glycosides than moso, and therefore are even safer to eat raw than Moso. So following this logic, Phyllostachys dulcis, atrovaginata, aurea, aureosulcata are all listed as being less bitter than Moso, which means it is perfectly safe for adults in good health to eat them raw and untreated.

So while the risks of eating raw bamboo are real, they are small, and for most forum members, who live in developed economies, are very acceptable.

A half dozen meals with raw bamboo shoots as one of the side dishes during the spring shoot season, for most of us is less dangerous than a similar number of meals from fast food joints. That fast food will either give you bacterial food poisoning or chemical poisoning. (remember pink slime as an additive for burgers?)

If I am eating more than a couple shoots (of aureosulcata or atrovaginata) I do like it better cooked anyway. So cooked bamboo is best! No limits for cooked bamboo.