Holiday Decorations on a Bamboo?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

moriphen
Location info: 0
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Holiday Decorations on a Bamboo?

Post by moriphen »

Any advice on how to put lights and decorations on bamboo? In my specific case I am talking about Fargesia jiuzhaigou #1 and how best to light the the plant. The plant itself is around 9 feet tall with a base around 2 feet wide.
M
pokenei

Re: Holiday Decorations on a Bamboo?

Post by pokenei »

I'll have to wait a few more years before my bamboo groves is large enough to be decorated.

I am thinking of putting a dragon or something that snakes in and around the bamboo and glows at night. That would be cool.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

I would suggest only using LED lights to avoid possibly burning the leaves.

I just had a thought for a cool nativity scene: the LED lights can be stars, tiny angels could decorate the bamboo, then the nativity scene could be in front of the bamboo :)
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

The one situation I can think of where this kills 2 birds in one stone is when you are dealing with a marginal species that has grown too large to tarp to the ground, and you still want to protect it. A long string of Christmas lights should be able to produce plently of heat underneath a plastic tarp, or shrink wrap, and make a huge difference in temperature especially when you are dealing with possible sub-zero.

Wrapping them in a twirling pattern before putting on the transparent tarp will also look very pretty in the night which is really when the warmth is needed. I could potentially grow vivax in my climate with a set up like this because first the column tarp holding all the culms together will provide stability, and the heat from the little bulbs can melt all the snow that falls onto the setup. Since we are used to getting plenty of snow, growing thin walled species which cannot handle the loading hasn't been an option.
jd.

Post by jd. »

stevelau1911 wrote:A long string of Christmas lights should be able to produce [plenty] of heat underneath a plastic tarp [...]
Somehow, a bamboo hiding under a tarp doesn't seem the most festive decoration although the bamboo could benefit if that zone 7b drops a few zones colder for the winter. :o

For lighting, another option to consider is to illuminate the plant from below with colorful floodlights, preferring LED lights for more intense color. The first color that comes to mind is an LED green to accent the leaves that remain evergreen on the bamboo, in contrast to any broadleaf deciduous plants that lack leaves during the winter.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Would suggest you not do what I once did. I brought a nice potted P nigra in as a houseplant for winter. It had a premature leaf drop and got a white fly infestation from a pointsettia.
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

End result of my decorating:
M