Bory, big rhizomes

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Matt W
Location info: 91

Bory, big rhizomes

Post by Matt W »

When I brought this one home last early March I didn't have a suitable pot so I banked it in with spare extra bags of mulch and topsoil. Noticed today it was putting rhizomes through and under the bags in a big way. Pulled it out and give it a permanent place.
Image Image
Matt
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Bory, big rhizomes

Post by stevelau1911 »

The largest rhizome I have seen so far is(1 inch diameter) off my atrovaginata this year and based on the direction of it, it must have come from the rhizome tip of one of last year's rhizomes. These big guys tend to grow pretty deep and the only reason I spotted it was because it was growing in the down-hill direction and it came up 6ft away from the nearest culm. After re-directing the monster back into the ground, I've found that this thing already has pretty big shoot buds further up the rhizome which are likely where the largest shoots should come from next spring.

A division with a few of those hoses hanging off it should result in a very quickly established division with large culms. :mrgreen:

Has anyone over seen 2 inch+ rhizomes on their running bamboos?
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Matt, planting bamboo that way is cheating! You are supposed to dug the hole with a half broken shovel, then drag the division over to the hole on a piece of wet cardboard.... THEN you will know the true feeling of being a bamboophile :wink:
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I agree with Gene. I vote for banning photos of machinery used for bamboo digging or moving. :wink:
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

Man, there's no sympathy for the elderly here. :) It did feel a little like cheating for about 3.2 seconds, then I got over it. :P I had to build the forks, doesn't that count for something ?
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Ok, building the forks counts -- wait, did you use welding equipment to do that? Double-cheat! :wink:
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

I'm sure glad Y'all didn't see me digging irises with it last week! :mrgreen:
kudzu9
Location info: 0
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

Matt-
It's only cheating if you don't let the rest of us borrow the equipment...
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Matt,

Is that a Teramite? I have a T7 I bought very used from a rental equipment broker. I wish I had done it years ago. I still use a shovel but only for "precision" work. I think of new ways to use it all the time; what a back saver!
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

Yeah David, It's an old (1989) Terramite T5B. I've only had it a couple of weeks, but :happy6: Wow :happy7: I like it.
Matt
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

:headbang: I may be getting a small backhoe to live here, from someone that needs a place to store it. Free parking your equipment on my property, just leave the keys :headbang:
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Now that's a good deal! In return maybe you can let some of your bamboo live at his place for a while as I think you've said you're running out of good spots to plant. :)
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

You'll wonder how you ever got by without it, pretty quickly :!: :scratch:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Alan_L wrote:Now that's a good deal! In return maybe you can let some of your bamboo live at his place for a while as I think you've said you're running out of good spots to plant. :)

No way! With heavy equipment, I can clear some brush, and make more planting room......
There are about 9 acres that are bamboo-less, and that is just a tragedy in my eyes!
:mrgreen:
jpluddite
Location info: 0

Post by jpluddite »

Broken shovel for hole digging?

Mine wasn't broken; it was in perfect shape actually. But it was my wife's little hand shovel that she uses for planter boxes.

Last year, I stupidly hired some guy with a machine to dig the trench for the barrier. When we went to put the barrier in the absurdly narrow trench, a lot of the dirt fell right in. An ordinary-sized shovel wouldn't fit in the trench, so I could use a post-hole digger or my wife's little hand shovel. I chose the hand shovel. Am I in?

jp