Circular Barrier but no clamp!! arg!

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Hermgruf
Location info: 0

Circular Barrier but no clamp!! arg!

Post by Hermgruf »

Please help.
I put running bamboo (mostly yellow grove/groove) in two trenches in the yard.
30-36" barrier installed and attached to a pressure treated 2x6 lumber frame at the last 6" (the ground surface).
So it looks like a small raised bed.
Subsoil is packed gravel-y clay, surface soil is 12-18" is a blend of compost, good topsoil and sand.
Location- Pacific Northwest, zone 8
Major Anxiety - I never did attach a stainless steel clamp to seal the barrier ends together.
One barrier overlaps by a good 5 feet, the other bed has less of an overlap and I think I only duct taped it shut, dumb, I know.
The only thing holding the barrier ends together is the pressure of the compacted subsoil.
Now, how to fix before disaster?
1. Dig it up and attach stainless steel clamp at barrier overlap? Ugh, that's a lot of work!
2. Open up the front edge of the raised bed "frame" and cut rhizomes as they exit? (hoping they stay close to the surface)
3. Or, just forget about it, not to worry?
If I can firgure out how to post a photo, I'll post it.
They're jpeg's on the hard drive, not sure how to copy/paste.
Thanks for any help/ideas/encouragement!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Circular Barrier but no clamp!! arg!

Post by needmore »

They will escape I suspect but it will be far less work dealing with that than trying to 'fix' it. Just don't let any shoots pop up where you don't want them; rhizome prune (both inside & outside the barrier) if it makes you more comfortable with the situation.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
yard e

Re: Circular Barrier but no clamp!! arg!

Post by yard e »

I did the same thing. I clamped the ends of my barrier with a treated 2x6 on both sides and screwed the heck out of it. I also patched in a piece and just took packing tape too both sides about a foot out, hope it holds.