The truth behind the capabilities of running bamboo

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

The truth behind the capabilities of running bamboo

Post by stevelau1911 »

Due to all commotion in Connecticut, I believe that we should get together some of the facts about bamboo and provide evidence to prove that bamboo can be grown and contained, as well as eradicated. I know everyone on this forum may already know how it is done from experience, but I think we should start gathering non-disputable evidence to ensure that the responsible bamboo growers in Connecticut can continue to enjoy their plants.

Here are a few ideas to get started, before going any further.

1. Can (real)bamboo grow or survive in water?

2. Do bamboos typically propagate by seed?

3. How hard is it to remove a grove of bamboo?

4. Can bamboos damage the foundation of houses or septic systems?

5. Do bamboos have a finite number of shoot buds?

6. The most cost effective way to remove a grove of bamboo.

7. How long can rhizomes stay alive without a source of energy.

8. How much and how deep can bamboo rhizomes grow?

My computer doesn't seem to allow me to access the ABS website, but I'm sure there are tons of other legitimate articles which state the common behaviors of bamboo that most of us can agree on. The problem is that many town councils may very well be unaware of the limitations of bamboo and may believe even the craziest ideas due to the power of the press.
stevelau1911

Re: The truth behind the capabilities of running bamboo

Post by stevelau1911 »

http://www.jademountainnursery.com/html/info/faqs.asp
Q. Will bamboo grow in water?
A. No, bamboo likes to be near water but not in water. 'It likes its toes wet, but its ankles dry.' Water is a natural barrier for bamboo. There are certain species that will tolerate more standing water that others such as Phyllostachys heteroclauda 'Purpurata.'

Test: Try growing a bamboo division in a pot with no drainage at all and see how long it can survive.

http://landscaping.about.com/od/tropica ... bamboo.htm
3. Cutting

The American Bamboo Society recommends the cutting method, which, in sum, runs as follows:

Cut the bamboo shoots down
Apply water to the area
Cut down the new crop of bamboo that will result
Repeat the above, as needed
Test: Cut down an entire grove of bamboo that needs to be eradicated right after shooting down to soil level while the rhizomes have the least energy and watch to see how much re-sprouting occurs. If survival shoots occur, try mowing the grove and see if anything comes back.
Bamboo spread by seed.

Test: Try sprinkling a few hundred fresh moso bamboo seeds over a random area and watch to see if any of them germinate or make it to maturity.
http://stevesbamboogarden.blogspot.com/ ... t-now.html
Difficulty of bamboo containment
Test: Go to any bamboo grove of a responsible bamboo grower and see if they are able to keep it in check.
http://www.bamboobotanicals.ca/images/a ... ome-lg.jpg
Number of times a bamboo can shoot
Test: Look at any rhizome of a running bamboo to see how many times a bamboo can potentially re-shoot
I wished I could reach into some of the information on the ABS webpage, but it seems like my browser doesn't let me. Maybe it is time to make blogs on how to contain bamboo with little effort, but my groves aren't even filling out as fast as they need to yet, but I believe a blog on how a large stand of bamboo can be eliminated with simply a pair of loppers and a lawnmower should be very educational. I wished I took pictures when I was able to help some neighbors take out a grove of Bisetti & Aureosulcata that they wanted to get rid of with only a pair of loppers right after shooting season occurred.
sully0family
Location info: 0

Post by sully0family »

Everyone. Takes me too long too type . computer broken. please give Steve a good list. Will deliver.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I normally tell people to cut the bamboo down at ground level so they can run a lawn mower over it. It seems to me to be such an obvious thing to do.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

foxd wrote:I normally tell people to cut the bamboo down at ground level so they can run a lawn mower over it. It seems to me to be such an obvious thing to do.
I think the problem here is that some people who have no horticultural/bamboo knowledge or exp might not be able to grasp the concept that bamboo rhizomes have a finite # of shoot buds & require above ground green growth for energy production(photosynthesis) in order to survive very long so they never realize the obvious.

There are also bamboo removal companies that will claim that every piece of bamboo in the ground needs to be removed i order to eradicate the grove which is a very easy way to make thousands of dollars off homeowners who want to get rid of bamboo, when all you need is around $25 for a pair of loppers, and however much gasoline you need to run your lawnmower.
sully0family

Post by sully0family »

I hope I can reply. I just finished restoring the computer. Mowing and grass seed worked awesome for me with J Knotweed; Like I said in different posts:6000 sq ft. Now it's beautiful lawn. I will mostly fill it in now with Bamboo. If we can create a great list of the real facts and even benefits of bamboo, I would be willing to present them to the city council in Ct. on March 20. I had to change my location status because I didn't want Caryn knowing where I was from. This issue doesn't affect me yet,or you. But the way this woman sounds, she is trying to do this nationwide. Peace.
Matt W
Location info: 91

Post by Matt W »

One control / eradication solution I haven't seen mentioned is livestock. My cousin lost some species to a neighbors cattle. He also has regular damage from deer. I think I remember Gene having a sheep episode. If I wanted rid of bamboo on my place I would just get a couple of $40 goats. When we had goats several years ago I watched them strip the bark from saplings and ride them down to get the last leaf. I haven't seen goats in bamboo but I'm confident they could destroy an established patch in short order. Seems like an elegant, green, low cost, low labor solution to me.

Matt
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Good idea Matt, but would they really eradicate it? The one established grove I've seen has sections where the culms are much too dense for any animal to penetrate, plus the existing leaves are 10' or more off the ground.

Also, this isn't an appropriate solution for suburban yards, where much of the issue with running bamboo originates.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

One idea I've been reluctant to mention is trained squirrels. I think most of us remember earlier discussion by people having trouble with squirrels eating the new shoots and how quickly the knowledge would spread through the local squirrel population. Considering how animals will watch and learn from other animals, if the neighborhood squirrels regularly observed someone removing and snacking on bamboo shoots they would quickly get the idea they were edible.

-----

Considering how often the lecture about how to remove bamboo has been given and it falling on deaf ears. How about a list of what not to do and why it goes horribly wrong when they do it. A certain WSJ article might be a good place to start for such a list.

Emptying a revolver into the grove while screaming "Bullets won't stop it!"
Attacking it randomly with a machete.
Chopping up the rhizomes into lots of pieces and dumping a 55 gallon barrel of weedkiller on it.
etc.

Another possibility would be to illustrate the cut & mow procedure with pictures. If it doesn't look like the picture you're doing it wrong.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

I have to say Im glad Im seeing goats, mowing, and squirrels, rather then fire (as much as I love it), or chemicals....

Maybe we can all work a deal with china to get some pandas to naturalize here? :D
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Alan_L wrote:Good idea Matt, but would they really eradicate it? The one established grove I've seen has sections where the culms are much too dense for any animal to penetrate, plus the existing leaves are 10' or more off the ground.

Also, this isn't an appropriate solution for suburban yards, where much of the issue with running bamboo originates.
Alan, some of us newer growers forget that bamboo can actually be over a few feet tall :roll:

Seriously, though, if the grove were totally clear-cut then one goat could easily take care of even a huge area while the plant was reshooting, even the new shoots coming up at the edge of fences, etc. where mower blades won't reach. In a suburban area, the 8 homes affected by a large, wandering grove could perhaps obtain an emergency, temporary goat permit :lol: and the homeowners could split the cost of the one goat, making the cost per household nil. The goat could then be put on rotation around the neighborhood until the rhizomes were exhausted. The only problems would be convincing some people that a farm animal could have a legitimate purpose in the neighborhood and keeping the goat out of everyone's garden plants.

After the bamboo was eradicated the neighborhood could have a barbecue to dispose of the then unneeded goat. Ok, maybe everyone wouldn't agree to the bbq :)

Seriously, it would work, but I suspect too many folks would rather complain about the bamboo's supposed indestructability and whack the culms once a year or poison their soil, allowing the bamboo to stay--and subsequently leave them still with reason to complain :)
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

Alan, From the experience I've had a lot would depend on how much the goats like bamboo. I've seen them surrounded by high grass trying to climb a tree to get the last few leaves of poison ivy or honeysuckle. They will straddle small trees and walk / climb up to get what they want even with less desirable vegetation in easy reach. The ones we had were a lot more resourceful and determined than I would have guessed. I wouldn't think density would be a problem. It's their job. Sure, big culms would need to be cut. It would be interesting to see if bamboo is high on the goat preference list. I had no problem with hedge during the 15 or so years they were here. There was only one weed they wouldn't eat here, I don't know the real name of the weed but locals call it river weed. It gets about 5' tall with yellow blooms. Cattle won't eat it either.

Electric fencing is almost required to keep them in, but it's not all that expensive and can be temporary and easily moved. I had 9 strands of barb wire close spaced that wouldn't even slow them down. One or two strands of maintained electric will stop them in a hurry.

Just an option. And it would be more applicable in a rural setting than in a city, just thinking if I someone wanted to get rid of what I have started. The fence is already up, add an electric wire and a few goats and in a year I bet someone would be buying hay to feed them through the following winter or be selling some goats. The key would be if they would eat it or love it.

Matt

Check this out, I saw a calendar like this recently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQev3UoGp2M

http://www.google.com/search?q=goats+in ... 77&bih=930
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

It's the big culms I was wondering about, but cutting it all down and then moving in goats -- I get it!

:D
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

You've got me wondering now if they would eat the culms or not. After all we are talking about an animal that likes multifloral rose, thorny blackberry and poison ivy.

One thing I learned: Don't underestimate a goat.

Sorry, Steve for veering off original topic.

Matt
dependable

Post by dependable »

I like the idea of goats...The big old grove I removed with machinery (mentioned recently in other posts) was due to the fact the customer wanted to put in a lawn right away and not deal with the rather tough culm ends at soil level, not quite pungi sticks, but would not want to step on one barefoot. Never did claim to be getting rid of all the roots, but the culm bases were removed in the designated area. The adjacent new shoots will be suppressed by mowing.

I guess my point is that if you want to remove the bulk of a grove, it is quick & easy with equipment. The machine we used was overkill. The job could be done w any decent backhoe. Also could be done with strong tractor with forks, but you might need sawzall as well.
Attachments
IMG_01230001.jpg
IMG_01230001.jpg (77.44 KiB) Viewed 7597 times