The state of Connecticut eyeing bamboo for invasive status

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: The state of Connecticut eyeing bamboo for invasive stat

Post by foxd »

johnw wrote:Do US universities not check the credentials of people before printing such things?
Universities are composed of lots of independent departments and support services. For instance, if a student group wants to print something, they could go through the university's printing services without any sort of review of its contents.

It would be interesting to find out exactly what the relationship between Georgia University and invasives.org is.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

I have the strangest sense of déjà vu asking this, but does anybody recognize the picture she is holding?

http://www.westport-news.com/news/artic ... to-5231114
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

foxd wrote:I have the strangest sense of déjà vu asking this, but does anybody recognize the picture she is holding?

http://www.westport-news.com/news/artic ... to-5231114
Yep, I've asked this question before, it was taken at a garden in Belgium and is of Phyllostachys kwangsiensis shoots.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Last Saturday I actually visited the Komomaris and Alison Vance in CT to check out what was really going on, and they both had relatively controlled bamboos that didn't take up that much space and would have been easy to completely remove(all rhizomes included) even without power tools within a few hours, perhaps only minutes with a chainsaw if they were to be clear cut to soil lvl to be mowed over. They are both on very small properties so it wouldn't even be possible for them to take up that much space.

I also looked around for a few hours to see if I could find any properties with overgrown bamboo, but it looked like bamboo was pretty rare there, and based on my observations, it doesn't even spread that fast. Maybe faster than in upstate NY, but still nothing compared to the spread rates that I've seen, even for yellow groove.

Here's the Komomari's planting which is somewhere around 5ft wide by nearly 20ft long, with the tallest one between 30ft/31ft, and around 1 3/4 inches in diameter. It was clearly contained with 80mm high density barrier.

Some of the culms were sprayed with glysophate by somebody so half the culms are dead. So were the grapevines and some other shrubs along the fence. Whoever did this didn't do too good of a job.

I think it sometimes looks pretty cool for the surviving culms.

Here's Alison V's bamboo which is approximately the same size, maybe a bit thicker and healthier, but slightly shorter as the tallest culm only appears to be in the 28ft range. It grows along the side of the road and there is no barrier on this one. It also seems to be stopped by the road with nothing showing up on the other side of the road.

Some of these culms were in the 1 3/4 range and they could be climbed to a small extent. Obviously I wouldn't be able to climb 20ft without snapping these.

It makes a pretty good screen.
sfrangu
Location info: 0

Post by sfrangu »

So beautiful! What murderer could've sprayed the plants by the fence? Not only the bamboo, but all the others... And the barrier is so obvious there.

Thanks for sharing!

Mima
Alicat59

Post by Alicat59 »

It was great to meet you! And yes, no barrier on ours. It's approximately a 9 year old grove (we only moved here not even four years ago) and not once has it spread to any neighboring properties or damaged any roads/property. We still plan to remove the majority of it in the spring, since we have a great deal else going on in our lives that requires our attention. We'll miss having it.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Based on this guy, it sounds like throwing black plastic over an area with bamboo will kill off the rhizomes. I didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense in that heating up of the soil with the black plastic can heat it up too much for rhizomes to thrive.

It's funny how the guy is using my clumping kwangsiensis picture for the video which I'm fine with. The only time I have a problem is when eBayers or bamboo websites use my photos to sell their products without asking permission. It has happened quite often since I have thousands of bamboo photos on the internet.

This is the actual kwangiensis photo in one of my blog posts.
http://stevespeonygarden.blogspot.com/2 ... -2012.html

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Yes, I know what you mean. You would think that if someone is selling a plant, they would have a photo they could use themselves, with digital cameras, it is so easy, it really is inexcusable.
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

I'd watermark my pics if I'd have that many all over the www.
needmore

Post by needmore »

I've fully removed a few bamboo groves over the past few years and the clear cut followed by mowing/culling regrowth is pretty foolproof, but this year I am very surprised at how effective it was on Phy heteroclada. I can try to take some after photos to post before/after pictures to show the results but the surprise is that one cutting seems to have nearly done it and I've yet to even mow the 1st flush of regrowth. Species vigor surely is in play here, this grove was 10 years old but had not grown tall nor thick diameter, maybe 8-12 feet at most. Bypass pruners were all I used and it took about a half day to prune and fully clean up. No regrowth until many weeks later and it is quite sparse and spindly. Other Phyllostachys would not have been this easy but the results would be the same with multiple cuts of the regrowth. I also left 2 culms alive so the rhizome system is connected to live culms.

I have some Yellow Groove where I've culled most of 10 year old sprawling patch but not all of it as I want to leave small pockets of it and the regrowth on that is pretty vigorous but after about 2-3 years of normal string trimming/mowing there is no serious regrowth problems. The black plastic does not seem necessary to me based on my experiences.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

the time of the year you perform this clearcutting is very important and, if you believe in the moon cycle, one thing I was told when I did the china bamboo tour this year.
Terra Bamboo
300 acre Bamboo Plantation Project
Focusing on Henon, Moso, Robert Young, Rubro, Vivax and Fargesia
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

stevelau1911 wrote:Some of the culms were sprayed with glysophate by somebody so half the culms are dead. So were the grapevines and some other shrubs along the fence. Whoever did this didn't do too good of a job.

What a sad commentary on the lack of civility in today's society? To say nothing of the photo thefts too.

johnw - +5c, rose from -5c last night to above freezing overnight.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Frank Nord

Post by Frank Nord »

Can someone PM me where Wolfgang will be on May 6th? People are trying to keep details secret so that Caryn won't show up to distrupt things. Hopefully Wolfgang will ask some rather embarrassing questions that will turn things around in Connecticut.
Whatever happened to Terry Tim Rodgers?
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

needmore wrote:I've fully removed a few bamboo groves over the past few years and the clear cut followed by mowing/culling regrowth is pretty foolproof, but this year I am very surprised at how effective it was on Phy heteroclada. I can try to take some after photos to post before/after pictures to show the results but the surprise is that one cutting seems to have nearly done it and I've yet to even mow the 1st flush of regrowth. Species vigor surely is in play here, this grove was 10 years old but had not grown tall nor thick diameter, maybe 8-12 feet at most. Bypass pruners were all I used and it took about a half day to prune and fully clean up. No regrowth until many weeks later and it is quite sparse and spindly. Other Phyllostachys would not have been this easy but the results would be the same with multiple cuts of the regrowth. I also left 2 culms alive so the rhizome system is connected to live culms.
Maybe you clear cut during the right moon cycle. :wink:
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

This woman sounds crazy and hysterical. What a great business model, though. Instill fear in people with all kinds of exaggerations and histrionics, call yourself an expert and then charge for your consultation services to solve the problem. 'Don't mow the culms' - I can't believe she actually said that. Reading her hysterics feels like an alternate reality. It's kind of like a Freddy Krueger-type horror movie where the script allows no victim character to have a machine gun. Think about it.