NEW USDA HARDINESS MAP!

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

moriphen
Location info: 0
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

NEW USDA HARDINESS MAP!

Post by moriphen »

So I am now Zone 7b with winter lows between 5ºF and 10ºF officially one of the warmest areas in my state. Lets get talking about climate change :D

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx

M
M
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: NEW USDA HARDINESS MAP!

Post by foxd »

moriphen wrote:Lets get talking about climate change :D
We've moved to a solid Zone 6a, but I suspect we are easily 6b. I've talked to people who would not believe in Global Warming even if the Earth was developing a climate like Venus. BTW, lets use the phrase "Global Warming" instead of "Climate Change". "Climate Change" was a phrase that Frank Luntz pushed to downplay the dangers of Global Warming.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

moriphen wrote:So I am now Zone 7b with winter lows between 5ºF and 10ºF officially one of the warmest areas in my state. Lets get talking about climate change :D

M
Giving the map a thorough look over, I can see that zone 8a temperatures are only 170 miles south of me on the Delmarva Peninsula. I think its safe to assume within 5-10 years will see 8a winters in my immediate area.

M
M
foxd

Post by foxd »

Considering how much the climate has changed in recent years, our Zone may be warmer than shown based on the Average Annual Extreme Minimum Temperature 1976-2005 shown on the map. I know that when we first began growing Phyllostachys aureosulcata, 16 feet tall was the tallest we could expect it to grow in our climate. It now grows 30 feet tall. There may be a new record this Spring.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I didn't notice any difference for my area.
Squishee

Post by Squishee »

I'm in Oakville, Ontario and it seems like I'm a zone 6a.

I'm actually pretty impressed with all my species this year. So far without too much snow and a lot of cold nights, my Spectabilis, Atrovaginata, and Bissetii have been doing pretty well; very slight leaf burn at the tips of the leaves without any cover at all.
Paul Ont

Post by Paul Ont »

I wish they extended the map into Canada (I know USda, not agCAN)... There is a map for Canada, but it uses different criteria than the US map which leads to a lot of confusion and 'zone-inflation' among Canadian gardeners. Squishee- I'd say that depending on where you are in Oakville, you may now be borderline 6b. However, if you're away from the water it would be 6a! Pearson airport is now even a zone 6, upgraded from 5b a few years back.
Rufledt

Post by Rufledt »

I'm still borderline 6/7 and my parents are still 5a/b. No change for me in zones.

I wonder, if they do those charts by averages, would this super warm winter skew the next chart they do?
foxd

Post by foxd »

Rufledt wrote:I wonder, if they do those charts by averages, would this super warm winter skew the next chart they do?
Considering that since the seventies each decade has been warmer than the decade before it and the fact that they use the average of several decades to figure the zones, I would expect it to result in the map being more accurate since it would then tend to reflect more recent temperatures.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

needmore

Post by needmore »

But an unusually cold winter low next year will negate any impact from this one.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I checked out this map again, and it seems like the entire map got a bit warmer so they seem to be updating it each year. It used to put me at zone 6a, but now it is saying zone 6b. I've also noticed that the climate zones in an area tend to follow the elevation more than anything else. Of course bodies of water help as well, but people living in higher elevations seem to be out of luck unless the entire region happens to be warm enough.

This kind of makes sense as temperatures do get cooler the higher you go. For example, the outside temperature of an airplane in the middle of its flight tends to be well below 0F. Sometimes -60F or colder.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

needmore wrote:But an unusually cold winter low next year will negate any impact from this one.
Precisely, I think they're getting a bit reckless issuing new maps so frequently. These maps are better done after several decades are under the belt. The thing with global warming is the erratic nature of the beast. It is not that long ago - 1992/93 - that we had one of the worst winters ever here,a winter like no one had ever seen in memeory - started the last week of January and continued non-stop into mid April. I think the rest of the continent had a similar one the year before or after that one.

The last one issued in Canada a few years back was complete chaos for the lower mainland of BC. In NS it seemed to be based on whether you could grow sweet peppers on the southern tip here - not - because the monkey puzzles were shading them out. :wink:
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
foxd

Post by foxd »

They may be issuing new maps more often, but they are still based on averaging several decades of data.

The problem is that Global Warming adds a trend line on top of that average, so that we may actually be in warmer growing Zone than the Hardiness map is showing.

True, if we got an exeptionally cold Winter it would cancel out the effects of the exeptionally warm Winter we had last year, but how likely is it we will get a Winter that exceptionally cold? My bets are that we will see another exceptionally warm Winter again in the next few years.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

jd.

Post by jd. »

Iowaboo wrote:I didn't notice any difference for my area.
Nothing new here either. The winter lows these last couple years fit perfectly.
Except for last winter. :shock:
johnw wrote: The last one issued in Canada a few years back was complete chaos for the lower mainland of BC.
The chaos due to elevation variation and mountain microclimates?
Or something more?
foxd

Post by foxd »

jd. wrote:
Iowaboo wrote:I didn't notice any difference for my area.
Nothing new here either. The winter lows these last couple years fit perfectly.
Except for last winter. :shock:
It doesn't take much much of a change in average lows to shift the Hardiness Zones. One would tend to think we have the same climate as the county south of us, but the county south of us has native stands of Rivercane and Maypop vine is native. I have also watched S.y.'Kimmei' survive the Winter year after year without top kill.

Last Winter we didn't even get down into the single digits. This year we are on track to have the warmest year on record, beating out 1998.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.