Branches acting like individual culms after shoot was broken

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Branches acting like individual culms after shoot was broken

Post by stevelau1911 »

Looking at this picture, it seems like after a squirrel or rabbit nibbled off the end of one of my divisions, the remaining 4 buds continued to grow, perhaps much taller and upright like individual culms instead of branches. It's not going to look pretty like all the other divisions, but since these branches seem to be getting more energy, it's not that bad.

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Branches acting like individual culms after shoot was br

Post by Alan_L »

That looks like a rhizome in the pot, so this is not unexpected or uncommon. I've see this with some of the few bare rhizomes I've potted.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

I call them survival branches when my clumper culms get knocked back to the ground by a freeze or some thing. The ground leval branch buds do take on the physical shape of culms but smaller.
MarCat
bamboothew
Location info: 0

Post by bamboothew »

Everytime I've planted bare rhizome and left a node above the soil line, within a few days or so it seems to shoot branches from the exposed node. I wonder if this is a good way to help ensure the survival of bare rhizome divisions, since the light seems to activate this response quickly and the new shoots start photosynthesis very quickly since they don't even need to travel through soil to reach light. It seems like perhaps this way, even if a rhizome doesn't have very much stored energy it could generate green leaves even with that small amount of energy. I haven't had any rhizomes planted this way fail yet, but of course my sampling so far has been way too small to draw any conclusions :) Of course, this method makes a pretty unattractive division but the ugly growth could be cut to the ground the next spring after the division hopefully shoots. That way, you would probably have a pretty division with short culms, easily shippable. It would definately mean having the division potted longer before it is shippable, though, I would think, but that would obviously be true of any bare rhizome division, right? Btw, I know that Steve's post obviously wasn't talking about bare rhizomes but the picture reminded me of my experience. Anyone else have any input on this for me? I'm a boo propagation novice :)
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
Arkansas

Post by Arkansas »

bamboothew wrote:Everytime I've planted bare rhizome and left a node above the soil line, within a few days or so it seems to shoot branches from the exposed node. I wonder if this is a good way to help ensure the survival of bare rhizome divisions, since the light seems to activate this response quickly and the new shoots start photosynthesis very quickly since they don't even need to travel through soil to reach light. It seems like perhaps this way, even if a rhizome doesn't have very much stored energy it could generate green leaves even with that small amount of energy. I haven't had any rhizomes planted this way fail yet
Very interesting! I usually cover my rhizomes completely and they have a poor sprout rate. I'll be sure to try it. Thanks for the tip!
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Arkansas wrote:
bamboothew wrote:Everytime I've planted bare rhizome and left a node above the soil line, within a few days or so it seems to shoot branches from the exposed node. I wonder if this is a good way to help ensure the survival of bare rhizome divisions, since the light seems to activate this response quickly and the new shoots start photosynthesis very quickly since they don't even need to travel through soil to reach light. It seems like perhaps this way, even if a rhizome doesn't have very much stored energy it could generate green leaves even with that small amount of energy. I haven't had any rhizomes planted this way fail yet
Very interesting! I usually cover my rhizomes completely and they have a poor sprout rate. I'll be sure to try it. Thanks for the tip!
It is very interesting but I have idea what the survival rate will be, however I have used this method on several arundinaria rhizomes and some pleioblastus and it has worked so far. I got the idea from seeing dolphin rhizomes from phyllostachys that sprouted branches from every exposed node so I decided to try it with bare rhizomes. Haven't tried it on phyllos because I don't have any running out of bounds yet and I don't want to hinder my groves' progress with experimentation. Plenty of time for that in another year or 2 when the rhizomes go hog-wild trying to take over my yard :)
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.