Smallest shoots develop first

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Eastlandia
Location info: 0

Smallest shoots develop first

Post by Eastlandia »

This might saying that when its cloudy it rains, but I have noticed that the shoots I saw back in march that were swelling just under the surface never developed into large culms. In fact, some of those shoot buds I uncovered havent come up yet. Did something kill them when they were uncovered? I wanted some shoot bud photos...maybe that is the price I will pay for them....no shoots!
Well, I cant complain, I have more shoots in one square foot of my Auerosulcata than ever before...over 15 1/2 inch shoots in one square foot of soil. thats not bad.... -Eastlandia
(Still swamped with school stuff. I will try to get some pictures uploaded and shrunk soon. I have over 20 I want to post. :) )
OH, and the spell check is fantastic...I never learned to spell!
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)
BruceLofland
Location info: 0

RE: Smallest shoots develop first

Post by BruceLofland »

I transplanted by Ph. atrovaginata last March before it began shooting and it still put up a lot of shoots last year. There are even more this year that are twice as big. Exposing the shoot buds did not harm them for this species in this case, so I would conclude that exposing the shoot buds is not the only factor in them not shooting.

Were they may have been exposed to freezing temps after they were uncovered? It could also be that they never would have produced a shoot this year as some shoots will abort every season.
Bruce