Shoots Galore

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

samman
Location info: 0

Shoots Galore

Post by samman »

It's turning out to be a good year for my bamboo. The I last counted (about 2 weeks ago), I had 80 shoots. They are still pretty small... about 1/4" in diameter. I estimate they will only get to about 4 feet this year.

This is Phyllostachys aureosulcata aureocaulis shoots (the variety I have the most of)
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

RE: Shoots Galore

Post by Thuja »

Nice! Looks like they're about to make a run for that ditch. :D
It should make a nice privacy hedge by summer.
--Mike
samman

Post by samman »

If I let them go, I'm sure it would be no time at all and they would be in the ditch... and everywhere else! I keep it in bounds by rhizome pruning twice in the fall. So far, it has been quite easy.

Here is an image of my newly created gove last year (about 50' in diameter). The aureocaulis is the one in the background, and is now occuping half of the grove. The one in the foreground is Phyllostachys aureosulcata.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Do you plan on getting any more kinds of bamboo, or letting the yellow grooves claim some more lawn?

8)
samman

Post by samman »

No, our yard is pretty small, so I think this will be it. I may consider a Fargesia for the front yard at some point.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Best fargesia to try in Nebraska is fargesia rufa. I haven't tried any fargesia species yet, so that's just hearsay. Have you had any animals, such as rabbits, bother your new shoots?
8)
samman

Post by samman »

No, not yet (knock on wood). We live in a new development that is still pretty open with no real place for a rabbit to hide. I have seen one or two in the past couple of years, but they have all been tucked close to our house trying to hide.

I hope my luck continues in the coming years!