Bamboo in mixed plantings

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Lucille
Location info: 0

Bamboo in mixed plantings

Post by Lucille »

I see a lot of pictures here of bamboo. Mostt are of a hedge or a nice grove or clump. Few are of bamboo alongside other plants in a garden. Do any of y'all use them in mixed plantings?
RazinCane

Re: Bamboo in mixed plantings

Post by RazinCane »

"Taming the dragon", is an accurate metaphor for growing bamboo and dragons don't play well with others. Anything you plant with bamboo will eventually be devoured by the beast, even trees aren't safe.
GrowingHabit

Post by GrowingHabit »

I love mixing them up. I also have experienced the effort it takes to keep them tame, when other things are planted around them. Oh well. I adore the ever changing, morphing canvas the process creates. I do try to mix it with things that can take the shade and just grow under it as it expands, or plants that are easily lifted out of the way and transplanted, or plants that are cheap and easy to just rip out and compost if they're in the way.
Attachments
mixed planting 3.jpg
mixed planting 2.jpg
Lucille

Post by Lucille »

Your garden is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GrowingHabit

Post by GrowingHabit »

Well, thanks Lucille! Its what I live for. 6 hours a day, gardening. Except for the moment, I'm sort of incapacitated. And the garden shows it, sadly. I'll post a few more examples of mixed plantings, if I can get good shots. For some reason, when I alter the size for attaching the pics here, they go blurry.

IF you have time for the work, and you enjoy it, there's no real reason not to mix bamboo with other plants. Just keep in mind that with runners, trees or large shrubs that you invest a lot of time or money in aren't a good mix choice. The roots make rhizome removal challenging. But bedding plants- no problem. One of my very favorite combinations is hardy plumbago under bamboo with yellow culms. The blue flowers on the plumbago, followed by its crimson fall foliage, just sing with the yellow bamboo.

Any sedum is another good choice, if the shade isn't too deep. Or heuchera, if it is. Though for those two, since they are evergreen, the clean up of fallen bamboo sheaths is a bit of a hassle.
gbock
Location info: 73

Post by gbock »

GrowingHabit, I love how you combine bamboo with other plants. Your garden should be in Sunset Magazine!
Check out my blog at http://www.bambooandmore.info.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I also go for mixed plantings. Too much of one type of plant doesn't do it for me, even if the plant is bamboo -- there needs to be contrast. Large leaves, flowers, grasses all seem to set the bamboo off.
Attachments
IMGP6058.JPG
Lucille

Post by Lucille »

Alan your picture is beautiful. And I agree that other plants can complement bamboo.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Alan and Marci both have the same disgustingly perfect gardens :wink:

It makes us mere gardening mortals jealous!

Having seen lots of pics of Alans, and been to Marcis, I think that sunset is missing out by not featuring their bamboo centric landscapes!
EBinNC
Location info: 50

Post by EBinNC »

GrowingHabit
How did you get your Wisteria to do that?
GrowingHabit

Post by GrowingHabit »

Alan, your garden is breathtaking!

What Gene is too diplomatic to mention (and I'm careful to keep out of photos if I can) is that there's way more unfinished garden than finished. Been calling the property back from scrub land for a while now. Sunset is most decidedly going to have to wait.

On the wisteria: We cut narrow strips down the length of a roll of livestock fencing, and bolted them to the back of the fascia using huge wide washers. It takes a lot of maintenance at first, to wind new wisteria into the fence as it grows, making sure to create a lot of bows and curves so its good looking in the winter too. Once its older, its just a matter of making sure to check on it a few mornings a week, just for a few minutes, to make sure it stays out of the shingles, off the power lines and satellite dishes, out of the heat pump.... little things like that. Let your guard down even for a moment, and it turns into a major all weekend long job to get it back in line.

It wasn't looking so good this spring when I took the picture, because we had an extremely cold day out of season, and most of the buds froze off.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Thanks, but for me too it's about correct framing of the shot. I've got some ragged areas, especially this time of year. Definitely do not look at the lawn. :shock:

That's why bamboo is ideal for me -- in a couple of years everybody who comes over will be too busy looking up to look at the mess they're walking on. :lol:

Here are a couple more shots.
Attachments
IMGP6563.JPG
IMGP6507.JPG
Lucille

Post by Lucille »

After seeing those pictures, I'm going to completely redesign the back yard garden and work the second batch of bamboo I bought today into the landscape. (But I'm waiting for it to cool down a little before I start hauling soil around).
I'm really impressed with your gardens and design.
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Lucille, why don't you come by Mercer Arboretum and Botanic Gardens next weekend and talk bamboo? We will not have our regular Mercer Bamboo Group meeting, but will be on the West side of the park for the sale. Here is some info.

Garden Faire
Saturday, September 25, 2010 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and
Sunday, September 26, 2010 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Garden Faire is held the fourth Saturday and Sunday in September and features regional plant societies, local artists who specialize in garden art, and garden-related authors. Garden-related art, books, and plants are available for purchase.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

What the Outlaw didn't mention is the great bamboos at Mercer you get to see.
MarCat