foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Our Brilliant Nation - and how to learn them good

Post by foxd »

My guess is Petasites japonica. 8)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Back to the Japanese demographic- if it WERE Petasites that would be even better for my movie as you would get the instant horrification of all those forced to eat their Fuki as children. :puke:

Just as with The Blair Witch project, uncorrelated nausea could lead to additional hype about the fear factor.
foxd

Re: RE: Our Brilliant Nation - and how to learn them good

Post by foxd »

hoe_NC wrote:Back to the Japanese demographic- if it WERE Petasites that would be even better for my movie as you would get the instant horrification of all those forced to eat their Fuki as children. :puke:

Just as with The Blair Witch project, uncorrelated nausea could lead to additional hype about the fear factor.
In reading up on Petasites I had found this link earlier:
http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/potd/ ... anteus.php

Supposedly the Blair Witch was based on the Bell Witch. But then again, supposedly Frankenstein is buried in Canton, OH near the McKinley Memorial. I've wondered what would happen if ducks were released in the McKinley Memorial. Inquiring minds want to know.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Bamboomoon

Post by Bamboomoon »

Elephant Plant leaf?
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Palmate venation? :lol:
--Mike

BambooMoon, if you follow Fox's link, we have our answer! :computer:

Thanks, Fox. :thumbup:

No surprise to me it was photo of the week! :director:

:happy1: Interesting thing about that Blair/Bell Witch. :scratch: I, of course, was making reference to the fact that the shaky camera work made a lot of theatre goers motion sick. :sad3:
foxd

Re: RE: Our Brilliant Nation - and how to learn them good

Post by foxd »

hoe_NC wrote::happy1: Interesting thing about that Blair/Bell Witch. :scratch: I, of course, was making reference to the fact that the shaky camera work made a lot of theatre goers motion sick. :sad3:
Some links:
Frankenstein's Grave
Bell Witch

Also the echos in the McKinley Memorial are awesome and go on for a long time. But since a duck's quack does not echo, what would be the effect of it quacking in the Memorial? Would it be a "Quaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......" fading slowly out over time?

Near the Memorial there is also a museum which has an odd display about the meat packing industry. Pictures of children petting a cow. Then the cow being led off to be slaughtered. Then pictures of the same children with big grins eating burgers.

And they also had an animatronic Pres. McKinley and his wife talking about his administration.
McKinley: Well, I'm off to the World's Fair!
Wife: But aren't you afraid of being shot?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

So, Ida McKinley was agoraphobic. Hmmmm.... I did not know that.
Well, considering the she obviously lived near the children of the corn :triplets: - I'm not surprised.
Cactus Joe

Post by Cactus Joe »

Foxd got it first: Petasites japonica. For the next picture, I am going to get someone to stick his head out of that leaf. By the way, it works great for staying dry from the rain. Every garden should have one. But beware! If you think bamboo is invasive, you ain't seen nothing yet!
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I remember booking mentioning that Petasites japonica is invasive. But I would guess with a lack of water, it would struggle to survive, rather than be a gardenthug. :? 8)

Hoe_NC: I TOLD you that if bamboo becomes more prominent in the ignorant public eye, it might be outlawed!

Ida McKinley: Just because they're after you, don't mean YOU'RE not paranoid too!

Pres. Mckinley: Well, I'm off to the Fair now.
Eastlandia

Post by Eastlandia »

Bamboo wont become outlawed. It'll win. Just look at china without a bamboo economy.
NEW national Geographic has a photo of men working and throwing poles out of the water. Didnt have time to read it....-Eastlandia
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)

Even if someone was doing something economically important with bamboo in the states, I fear we would find a reason to buy imported.
Eastlandia

Post by Eastlandia »

I still think the US government cant do much...really, what have they acomplished in the past 6 years?? anyway, I dont think its illegal to plant kudzu...and thats far more invasive than bamboo -Eastlandia
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)

Brian, I am sure it is illegal to sell, cultivate or buy kudzu in most any state where it has been found (which I am shocked to have just learned includes Illinois), if it isn't totally barred at some federal level already.

But, you might say, we still have kudzu. So, of what import is the law?

Lets not forget that bamboo isn't really as bad as kudzu. Unlike Kudzu (barring some yet developed technology), bamboo could be eliminated with time as it is not normally spread by seed and we enthusiasts know the effectiveness of rhizome pruning. Two reasons why it is undeserving of prohibitive legal status.

Unfortunately, the general public doesn't know these things. But they have watched plants like Kudzu eat their neighborhoods. A lot of people here in NC seem to be aware that Kudzu was intentionally brought over and planted by the government. And yes, our government is often impotent and largely perceived that way by people today. But, people do occassionally have a say in government, though, so what frightens them frightens me.

I guess, getting back to the educational issues, we can never stress enough how rarely bamboo is self-sown in contrast to the rest of the plant world. Dozens of plants can spread themselves as far and wide as bamboo if allowed to go unchecked year after year. With bamboo there is simply a tradeoff in being a responsible caretaker- you have to root prune instead of deadhead. Actually its not a simple tradeoff becaue if you do the methodical maintenance that never allows bamboo to leave your property, it is extremely unlikely to invade any neighboring properties. However, one overlooked bloom on a potential invasive allowed to go to seed will multiply the burden of maintenance exponentially. Its easy to point the finger at Joe Moso who planted bamboo and let it go wild, but nearly impossible to trace the neighborhood buttercup epidemic back to Betty Butthead who should have seen how rampantly her plant was spreading but never did anything to control her purdy yeller flowers.
Last edited by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.