Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Bamboo article from the Oregonian

Post by bambooweb »

There is a good article on clumpers in the Portland area in todays Oregonian.
article

Oregonbamboo, You did not mention that you were going to be in the paper. :)

Bill
Mike McG
Location info: 71

RE: Bamboo article from the Oregonian

Post by Mike McG »

Bill,

Thanks for posting a link to the article. I have kept a copy. Unless I skipped a page, I didn't see anything about the hardier Bambusas. I would have thought the B. multiplexes, B. textillis, B. tuldoides, 'Clone X', and B. venticosa would be OK towards the coast, and even some of the ones that are borderline here in Z8b such as B. oldhami etc. could be grown closer to the coast. Is it that the summers are too cool or do you think this article was just trying to cover all of Oregon?

Mike near Brenham TX
CadyG
Location info: 0
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

Ned's quoted in the article along with other fellow ABS folk. Nice report.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Post by kstanwick »

Nice read bill, Thanks
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I didn't understand what you meant by read bill, Kurt. So I looked it up and found what you were referring to. But not bamboo related I guess.
8)

Congress Gives Approval to Read Bill to Increase Access to Bone Marrow and Cord Blood Cell Transplants
Saturday, December 17, 2005
WASHINGTON – Congress has given final approval to legislation introduced by US Senator Jack Read (D-RI) that will increase access to bone marrow and umbilical cord blood transplants and establishes a scientific research database.

The Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act of 2005 is also sponsored by Senators John Ensign (R-NV), Christopher Dodd (D-CT), Orin Hatch (R-UT), and Richard Burr (R-NC), and expands donor recruitment, education, information and patient advocacy to cord blood donors and recipients. The bill establishes a registry of cord blood units available for transplantation and also reauthorizes the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP).

Along with the registry of available cord blood units, the cord blood and bone marrow bill would establish a national inventory of 150,000 new high quality cord blood units suitable for transplantation into unrelated recipients. At that level, 95 percent of Americans with a condition that can be treated through a cord blood transplant could find a genetically suitable match. Currently, most cord blood is discarded as medical waste.

This legislation authorizes $34 million in fiscal year (FY) 2006, with another $38 million in the following years through FY10. The funding will support the establishment of the national cord blood bank network as well as continue to fund work done by the NMDP.

“This bill builds upon the highly successful National Marrow Donor Program that has been a life line for thousands of transplant patients for almost 20 years,” Read stated. “We are taking a critical step forward in expanding access to lifesaving therapies to millions of patients with conditions that can be treated and even cured with bone marrow or cord blood.”

Stem cells in the blood of umbilical cords, similar to those in bone marrow, can be transplanted into patients to replace diseased tissues with healthy ones. It is a proven, effective therapy for diseases such as leukemia, sickle cell, Fanconi’s anemia, Krabbe’s disease and severe combined immunodeficiency. The stem cells in cord blood are more versatile than bone marrow stem cells because they contain less genetic programming allowing them to treat a wider range of diseases and are compatible to more patients.

A separate bill, the embryonic stem cell bill, also supported by Read has passed the in House of Representatives and has been introduced in the Senate. It would lift current restrictions on federally-funded embryonic stem cell research to study potential treatment applications for embryonic stem cells, which are considered even more versatile than “adult” stem cells found in cord blood and may lead to effective treatment for conditions such as diabetes, Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s.

Congress created the National Bone Marrow Donor Registry in 1986 because seventy percent of people needing bone marrow and blood cell transplants we unable to find donors in their families. The NMDP manages a registry of 5 million potential volunteer donors, which is the world's largest, most diverse registry.

-end-
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Bamboo article from the Oregonian

Post by Roy »

Lance wrote:I didn't understand what you meant by read bill, Kurt. So I looked it up and found what you were referring to. But not bamboo related I guess.
8)
Lance,

It should look something like what's below. Part 2 has another 6 or 7 pages of reading. Roy

???? Part 1: Say 'Boo!' to bamboo

?? Part 2: An assortment of clumping bamboos

Say 'Boo!' to bamboo

Banish your fear with docile clumping types

Thursday, April 13, 2006
Diana K. Colvin

Plant bamboo and get ready to trade your garden boots for a pair of combat boots. At least that's the conventional wisdom about a plant known for its often-rampaging nature as well as for its grace and mystery.

But we've found some great bamboos that you can grow without fear of invasion. These bamboos are slow to spread and easy to manage -- no bamboo barrier or digging needed.

Most come from the Himalayas or the Andes and are called hardy clumping bamboos, or noninvasive mountain bamboos. They generally have smaller canes and grow shorter than running bamboos. They thrive in the moist areas of the Pacific Northwest, where shrewd gardeners are discovering their virtues.

Landscape designer Vanessa Nagel of Milieux Design Studio planted a clumping bamboo (Fargesia murielae) 10 years ago by the deck of her Vancouver home. "It grows a lot like Miscanthus," expanding slowly like the large perennial grass to form a tight clump, she says. "I've recommended it to a number of clients who are interested in bamboo."

Once collectors' plants, clumping bamboos have been produced more quickly in the past 10 years, thanks to tissue culture, a method of propagation. They are still expensive because new varieties are imported from China or Chile, for example, and spend two years in quarantine before being released for nursery propagation. Even then, they won't be for sale for a number of years because the nursery must build up its stock. Before tissue culture, propagation meant taking divisions from a plant, a slow process. Some clumpers have not yet been successfully tissue-cultured.

Unlike the running types that can take over a yard unless vigilantly maintained, clumping bamboos have fleshy underground stems (rhizomes) that shoot up new canes close to the clump. The clump typically expands outward four to six inches each year as new canes sprout.

Adam Williams is a clumping convert. About 10 years ago, he put tall running bamboo at the back of his Cedar Mill lot to screen out a new home. He was hooked. He added more runners for their beauty and joined the American Bamboo Society.

He branched out, inviting clumping bamboos to his garden, about five years later.

"You can put them in the garden and not worry about them," says Williams, a real estate broker with John L. Scott who recently opened a nursery called Oregon Bamboo.

Some clumping species have a vertical habit and can take the place of a small tree, Williams says. Others with arching canes remind him of water fountains. Some have colorful canes and cane sheaths, he notes.

Unfortunately, says Ned Jaquith of Bamboo Garden in North Plains, "you don't hear the canes clacking against each other, and you don't get the tall groves" that you do with running types.

Clumping bamboos also don't grow well in Central and Eastern Oregon -- too hot and too much chance of sustained cold -- and most prefer at least afternoon shade, even in the Northwest.

That makes them ideal for the shade garden, Williams points out.

And that's like winning the war without firing a shot.

Diana Colvin grows Fargesia rufa in her garden: 503-221-8456; dianacolvin@news.oregonian.com
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Post by kstanwick »

Lance, I'm sorry buddy...forgive my grammar. I meant nice article(read) Bill (bill)...sorry to put you thru all that trouble my friend....yes the Boo article...
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

read bill
:lol: , sorry folks about that one. I was just playing around with the unique word combo. 8)
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

I think it's obvious now that Lance is really a computer. :lol: Hmm, or he could be Vulcan. :wink:
--Mike
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

If Lance had really wanted to fix up the grammar, he would have put:
"Nice read, Bill." For want of a comma, the war was lost. :P
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

Yes, commas can be very important:

A panda walks into a cafe. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.
"Why? asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.
"I'm a panda," he says, at the door. "Look it up."
The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.
"Panda: Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."
Cactus Joe

Post by Cactus Joe »

Kudzu,
You just gave me a bellyache........from laughing!
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

Cactusjoe-
I'm glad someone was amused. That joke is from a great little book by Lynn Truss on rampant punctuation mistakes that was actually called "Eats, Shoots & Leaves."
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

:lol: Never caught that joke intertwined in this web of a thread.

From that story we can conclude why the pandas are endangered :idea: . :shock:

8)
Oregonbamboo
Location info: 39

Post by Oregonbamboo »

I contacted them about advertising the Portland Bamboo Festival which I'm in charge of doing this year since Ned will be in Germany at that time. The H&G editor mentioned they wanted to do an article about non-invasive bamboo, and I offered to help.

The reporter came out to the house and talked to me for two hours but I was quoted only twice, go figure. They took dozens of images of most of my bamboo and used only two images, and one was mis-identified. I did get my personal picture in the article. Lots of friends called or e-mailed me after it came out and it was great FREE publicity for the festival and the ABS.

The bambusas don't seem to perform well here in NW Oregon. I don't recommend them to people except as potted bamboo. I hear they do OK at the coast in a protected spot. The article was mainly focused on "non-invasive" bamboo for the small garden so we talked a lot about the fargesia and chusquea genus.

I have scanned PDF files if you want to see the real printed article and images. Drop me an e-mail or PM and I'll e-mail it to you.

They are big files so dial ups beware.
AJ Williams
Cedar Mill Bamboo
http://www.cedarmillbamboo.com

100% Organic Garden and Nursery in Portland, Oregon