Rhizome barrier

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Rhizome barrier

Post by foxd »

Has anybody else used a post hole digger to put in a barrier? That worked pretty well and I got the circle the right size to force the barrier material into a neat circle.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bambootony

Post by bambootony »

foxd wrote:Has anybody else used a post hole digger to put in a barrier? That worked pretty well and I got the circle the right size to force the barrier material into a neat circle.

Must have been a 1 culm division on such a small hole....;)
40 miles N.E of st louis
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

bambootony wrote:
foxd wrote:Has anybody else used a post hole digger to put in a barrier? That worked pretty well and I got the circle the right size to force the barrier material into a neat circle.

Must have been a 1 culm division on such a small hole....;)
*Heh*

Actually I dug the hole at the perimeter of the area I wanted to enclose and then started elongating the hole around the perimeter of the area. I eventually wound up with a deep trench around the area. Fortunately I didn't run into any large rocks.

Thinking about it, I wonder if I could modify the method I used to put in an 8 foot Ground Rod for installing barrier.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Devaughn
Location info: 0

Post by Devaughn »

bambootony wrote:Hello Bamboo group,
I thought I would show how I keep the running Phyllostachys I have in-boundrys.
This is how I have done it and in no way am I an expert.
There have to be easyer ways and I'm sure that most here have their own method.
I just thought I would show my method as I have access to these FREE materials.
After picking a location I dig a ring the size I want putting the sod inside the circle and the fill dirt in a pile outside the circle.
I have been using "used" corrugated galvanized roofing. I use sheet metal screws to hold each piece to the next making a ring.

Since it has been a few years since this post I was wondering if I could get an update on how your containment is going? I have a limited budget and so buying an expensive barrier is killing my excitement about getting started growing bamboo... however I have an old barn with a tin roof that needs to come down soon and was wondering if it was a worthwhile to use your idea or bite the bullet and buy into the barrier?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Devaughn wrote:
Since it has been a few years since this post I was wondering if I could get an update on how your containment is going? I have a limited budget and so buying an expensive barrier is killing my excitement about getting started growing bamboo... however I have an old barn with a tin roof that needs to come down soon and was wondering if it was a worthwhile to use your idea or bite the bullet and buy into the barrier?
I'd expect that his approach did not work out. Even if the roofing held up that barrier was WAY too shallow, especially for vivax aureocaulis.
Can you somehow weld the tin together ? If it does not corrode and is of ample thickness and width it may just work. Bolting it together may lead to problems down the line.
If you do choose to use bolts and the roofing I'd bend the edges 90 degrees and let them face inwards to bolt them together. That way rhizomes would have to hit exactly at the center of the angle to wrench it apart.

You could even try to fill in that exposed edge with something that hardens to deflect rhizome tips

Here is a crappy schematic of what I mean

Code: Select all

|
Rhizome tip ->        ▼
                     B||B <- Bolt
                 _____||________ <- Roofing

Devaughn

Post by Devaughn »

The 90 degree inward bend would definitely be worthwhile... i doubt that i could weld it nor would i really want to, galvanized metals tend to give off toxic gasses when welded. if i doubled it up so as to make it thicker do you think it would work as a deflector at least for a couple years until i could replace it with an adequate 80 mil barrier?
dependable

Post by dependable »

If you can make the bend with two ends, then crimp it over on itself, it will work pretty well I'd think. The roofing should last some time, but I'd wonder about the sharp edges. If you are eventually going to use plastic, you would save yourself from doing the job twice by installing 80 mil in the first place.

I have been leaning toward creating a (aprox two feet)grade change(as opposed to just a trench) to contain larger groves lately, this approach requires a tractor of some sort. This can usually be done with or without retainment of some kind. Rhizomes still have to be pruned occasionally, but it is easy when they are coming out into the air.

I'll post a picture of recent example later today.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Here is a project I did last month behind my shop. I had some stone lying around, but logs would have worked too. Not really a wall, just holds up the soil some, in this case until the ivy and bamboo stabilizes it.

The only before picture I could find was from last winter, but you might be able to make out the bissettii behind building. I cut the grade down 20-30 inches along the bamboo line and added 4-6 inches gravel. This helps with boo control as well as building drainage.
Attachments
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1057.JPG
T9D

Post by T9D »

That was way way to shallow. He's in a 5b -6 a zone. On top of concrete at the bottom. It probably froze the roots and died. If it didn't though it's probably a big forest taking over the whole yard. No way that small barrier would keep it in. I wish he'd come update though, I want to see how it looks now.