55 Gallon Barrels

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

rfgpitt
Location info: 24

55 Gallon Barrels

Post by rfgpitt »

I put 2 barrels in the ground for more bamboo and it seemed like they were looking at me....
Barrel Eyes
Rick
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

RE: 55 Gallon Barrels

Post by David »

Cookieeeee. Cookie monster! 8)

Please draw nose and mouth, and take new pics :idea:
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

I'd love to draw nose/mouth but:
  • my back says no way
  • fresh out of barrels (for now)
  • don't have any more plants (for now I hope)
Rick
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

What species are you putting in the barrels?

8)
kudzu9
Location info: 0
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

rfgpitt-
I have a suggestion about this approach, and that is that you need to keep an eye on them and divide your plants every couple of years before they crowd the barrels. I have a friend who used your approach several years ago, but didn't worry about dividing. When he thought of doing it, it was too late: the barrel was so full of tangled rhizomes that he couldn't get a division out, and now the plant is starting to look bad because it's completely rootbound and he can't do anything about it, and the container is too heavy to get out of the ground. Not trying to rain on your parade...just thought I'd warn you before you have the same problem.
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

kudzu9,
That's my plan. To divide and give away the divisions. This area would be hard to rhizome prune with the surrounding plants and large tree that has just a few roots.

Lance,
I plan on throwing in some Semiarundinarias or Pseudosasas. or ??? It will be ok is they get near total topkill.
Rick
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Can't recommend Sasa Veitchii highly enough. Not that I've grown it in a barrel. Its first winter was dissappointing. But this past winter it took on a very pleasing quasi-variegated look.

Contained in this way, it might prove very interesting combined with other plants for winter interest.
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Can't recommend Sasa Veitchii highly enough. Not that I've grown it in a barrel. Its first winter was dissappointing. But this past winter it took on a very pleasing quasi-variegated look.

Contained in this way, it might prove very interesting combined with other plants for winter interest.
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I have seen this in Japan and it was very very rampant....a word of advice.
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

hoe_NC,
Thanks for the recommendation. Even if it normally would take over the world, nothing should be able to go through one of these barrels. If it goes over I'll get it, if it goes deep and somehow makes it out one of the small drainage holes, then it deserves to be free.

Pat,
Did you get my private message a while back?
Rick
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

if it goes deep and somehow makes it out one of the small drainage holes, then it deserves to be free.

Yes, this is just what I would expect it to do as long as it can fit through the drainage holes.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
VanDell

Re: RE: 55 Gallon Barrels

Post by VanDell »

kudzu9 wrote:I have a friend who used your approach several years ago, but didn't worry about dividing. When he thought of doing it, it was too late: the barrel was so full of tangled rhizomes that he couldn't get a division out, and now the plant is starting to look bad because it's completely rootbound and he can't do anything about it, and the container is too heavy to get out of the ground.
Kudzu,

I know about this problem. Last week I tried successful to divide bamboo grown in a small barrier. I had to cut through 4 Layers of Vivax aureocaulis rhizomes and used an electrical Recipro Saw with an extra long saw blade.

http://www.einhell.de/scripts/image.asp ... quality=90

It cut through roots and rhizomes like butter. Try it!

Greetings from Germany
VanDell

Pimp your garden - grow bamboo!