North American enigma

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

JakeK
Location info: 0

RE: North American enigma

Post by JakeK »

David,
I posted a link that contained research regarding the origins of Arundinaria gigantea earlier in this thread. It is near the top.
The same research findings have been presented in a few other publications as well.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

JakeK & hoe_NC,
"It would appear" are code words researchers use to say the facts don't support this but we are guessing that. There is nothing in that paper that supports either of our positions.

AG micro evolved its water, and cold tolerance. Mother nature got it right. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Got to go earn a living. See ya later.
David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: RE: North American enigma

Post by foxd »

David wrote:JakeK & hoe_NC,
"It would appear" are code words researchers use to say the facts don't support this but we are guessing that.
"It would appear" are code words for "I don't want to stick my neck out and say this is true, but the evidence does support the idea."

The fact there is a high degree of similarity between the genomes of Arundinarea gigantea and Pseudosasa japonica does indicate a common origin. Also, the lack of different species of bamboo in North America while there is a diverse number of species in Asia indicates that A. gigantea is a recent introduction here.

It should also be pointed out that A. gigantea has started to diversify, for instance, some cultivars are deciduous.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Eastlandia

Post by Eastlandia »

Again, cant say anyone is right or wrong, but please try to support your Ideas. I dont think anyone can stand up and say that it exists in the US because "...." One needs data to support your claim.
Hey! Aliens are better than nothing! I once heard that the Native Americans came from outer space! ( G A F lowA C)(those are the close encounters of the third kind notes.) :wink: -Eastlandia
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

'The evidence supports', 'The facts support', and 'The research findings support', are all code words for "I'm right, and I'm not afraid to stick my neck out, and say I'm right"

That's just it Eastlandia I have supported my ideas, certainly better than the rest of you parroting phrases from books and papers that are pure supposition unsupported by reproduceable facts. The fact is no one can prove or disprove this point with hard scientific evidence. Your idea that they came fron aliens is just as valid in terms of proofs as any.

By the way someone should tell Lance that his deciduous bamboos are evolving so there is hope for him yet.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I hope they evolve enough so they can look neater than ole miscanthus genus. I'm just asking for a little green in winter. Who's stupid idea was it that I should just go buy some artificial turf grass for my visual needs! :evil:

Since subject of aliens was brought up, it has my brain thinking about other phenomena.

From the Files of the
Gulf Coast BigFoot Research Organization
(G.C.B.R.O.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reported by: Confidential

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report Received From: The GCBRO Online Report Submission Form.

Report Posted To GCBRO Web Site On: April 1, 2006

DATE: 12/17/2004

TIME: 3:00 - 4:00 pm

TERRAIN: Wooded, there is a creek with cane and typical southern hardwood deciduous forest and some pine and cedar

OBSERVED: I was with my children at a friend's house by invitation to check out the woods behind his house. The four of us went on a fact-finding trek through these woods. I noticed an area where I figured I might find some footprints, and I was right. I found a fourteen inch footprint, but unfortunately I didn't bother to guess the width. The width was wider than my size twelve shoe. This was in a small trench like ravine. Later that afternoon we went to the creek. There we found some telltale limb formations in the cane. In an area of this cane I stumbled across a bedding area. What was spooky was that I decided to lay down where the impression on the ground had been made and the size of what had been lying there to make that impression was huge. It had to have been around eight feet tall and at least five hundred pounds. I figured that the limb formations were probably an alarm system to alert the sasquatch of any uninvited guest, because of the positioning of the limbs surrounding the bedding area.

Activities of Witness: I have submitted reports before. I have been investigating bigfoot activity since my encounter on a camping outing a few years ago. This particular occasion was due to a conversation I had with this particular friend.

Description of Creature: We did not see nor hear a sasquatch, but there was evidence of at least one sasquatch.

Other Notes: The friend's story that triggered my investigation was about some friends wanting to go scare a neighbor on halloween night. They decided to go from the woods directly behind my friend's house over to this neighbor's house at night. While they were going through the woods they could hear something following them. It was basically matching them step-for-step. When they would walk it would walk. One of them thought that there was something hiding behind a tree nearby. Of course they thought that it was a person spying on them at first, but after awhile they thought that it was possibly not human and started to get spooked. They decided to get out of there. That is pretty much all I know of this story. It sounded like bigfoot to me, and thus I decided to investigate. Their trek that night would have taken them within one hundred yards of the bedding area that I mentioned in the report.
I also would like to add that I accidentally hit the enter key while I was submitting the report.
I am still keeping my eyes and ears open, and will be submitting another report real soon.
Wow, interesting one, I guess David is scared to go asleep now. Watch out David, the bamboo attracts them.
David

Post by David »

Very interesting Lance :roll: Did the report mention if the bigfoot was carrying any bamboo seeds in his hairy little back pocket? That was a good setting for the story. Canebreaks are thick, noisy, constantly moving, confusing, easy to get lost in places. Unfortunately there are very few areas left with groves big enough to wander around in. It's really a fairly fragile plant, and once gone it's like the carrier pigeons that once lived in the 'breaks', hard or impossible to get back.

Sorry, I seem to have wandered off topic.
Last edited by David on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Eastlandia

Post by Eastlandia »

Good story lance.
No one can win this battle. I myself do not think that DNA can tell us everything David. Some things will just be lost in history. However did you know that that evidece of human DNA can track it back to around 7 sources? They say at one point when man was forced so far north many were killed and the small group that survived became the "Eve" of that continent. I think bamboo is different. Heck, since it has changed just in the short time man has been in North America, maybe we had a Native American "Johnny Appleseed" bring up some plants from the south. But then how do the plants relate?
This is a maze! -Eastlandia
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)
David

Post by David »

Brian,
Bamboo is an amazing plant. It is so very adaptive, that it seems to have plans A, B, and C all really to go. The 58 varieties I have in the ground, and the other 7 or 8 in pots are a constant source of joy for me. So on a personal level where they came from, and how they got here is not important to me.

This is a beautiful time of regeneration and rebirth, and nothing demonstrates that better than bamboo.

David
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b