First Thrust of Spring

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Bamboomoon
Location info: 0

First Thrust of Spring

Post by Bamboomoon »

March 10: Last night I noticed that Spectabilis had broken the earth with a new spear carving into the air. It's difficult to understand how excited this makes me feel. I guess it's symbolic; bringing the promise of spring's return; hopeful, how many new shoots will there be? How big will they be, etc. I think the feelings evoked may be primordial. I imagine someone barely staying alive during the ice age, shivering in an animal skin, was thrilled and very relieved, to see a shoot emerging one morning, offering promise of food, beauty, and warmth.
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

I feel the anticipation in my blood ,we wait all year and the moment is very near,I also have a few shoots popping up like little periscopes checking if its all clear,
Kaylen. zone 8 borderline b.near Boerne Texas
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

No sign of shoots yet, but the Sasa veitchii has started to sprout leaves.

I also noticed rhizomes have spread from the Shibataea kumasaca.

Due to all the rain and cloudy weather the Fargesia nitida had uncurled its leaves. I had thought they were all burned off by the winter cold, but apparently not.

The strong winds we had a few days ago took down a tree which landed on the Yellow Groove. I must get out there with a chainsaw soon.

Winds also tore loose a number of my anti-critter fences. I was rather suprised at this since I didn't expect them to offer a lot of wind resistance. The fencing is now back in place before the critters could find them. :D
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
serenityinbamboo

Post by serenityinbamboo »

I too am lucky enough to have shoots and new leaves a sproutin' :lol:
The anticipation of what they will become is so intense it's great :!: :D
needmore

Post by needmore »

I noticed that my Pl. Pygmaeus 'Ramosissimus' had apparently been shooting for awile now, as it has new culms that are sticking above the leaves that had settled around them. Like my 'neighbor' foxd says, the Sasa Veitchii here is also sprouting new leaves and should be shooting in 2 weeks or so. And also echoing the fox, some of the Nitida that looked top killed now has lots of leaves unrolled as though nothing cold happened.

A few species are shooting in the un-heated greenhouse which stays only 5-10 degrees warmer than the outside air at night, 30-40 degrees warmer in the sun. I see several shoots that had come up and were then killed off, they are now seriously mold covered in that artic rainforest environment. A few are actually leafing out.

I'm not surprised that some species are shooting in there but I am surprised that among them are Viridis & Rubro while the Bissetii, Nuda, and some others are not. I'm in the process of pulling out everything that is not shooting but nearly all of the V & R have shoots.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

What a difference a day makes,,,making my rounds today I found a robert young shooting ,also Arundaneria gigantia,,two unkowns were shooting and S.okiboi,,,some nigra also
Kaylen. zone 8 borderline b.near Boerne Texas
foxd

Post by foxd »

Yesterday I spotted leaf buds sprouting on the Semiarundinaria yashadake 'kimmei'. Grow little plant grow!
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
OKbamboo

RE: First Thrust of Spring

Post by OKbamboo »

I get totally stoked this time of year waiting to see the first shoot break ground!!! It is all I can think about. Here in Oklahoma City it hasn't happened yet but should be any day!
Steve
foxd

Post by foxd »

Brad spotted shoots from my Yellow Groove saturday and yesterday I spotted a couple of shoots from my Sasa veitchii and Hibanobambusa tranquillans 'Shiroshima'. It begins!
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Eastlandia

Post by Eastlandia »

Also being part of the southern/central IN belt I have noticed some awakening in my species. Kimmei is sending many leaf buds up....but other than that, no sign on other species. -Eastlandia
foxd

Post by foxd »

I noticed today that my Pleioblastus viridistriatus 'Chrysophyllus' was also putting up shoots. Also saw leaf buds on my Fargesia nitida and 'kimmei'.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Eastlandia

Post by Eastlandia »

I gave a P. Rubromarginata away a few years ago. The man who owns it told me yesterday that there are shoots about 4 inches out of the ground from the previous growth. He lives about 10 mintues north of Bloomington IN. It seems a few weeks early to me! -Eastlandia
serenityinbamboo

Hey Eastlandia! I had received some rubro rhysome from David on this site a couple of weeks back. I put some in ground and the rest in pots to move to my property. As of the time that I got home from work today and checked on it i had 85 new shoots!!! It is too dark out now, but I will try to post pictures tomorrow. It is ssooo exciting. I did not expect to have such great results.

All of my seedlings in pots have also been shootin up their second and third culms.

Can not wait for the rest of the boo to catch up!!

Best of luck to everyone!!
Bamboomoon

Post by Bamboomoon »

Great to know that I'm not alone in my slightly weird attachment to gazing at the ground every day (and evening) around this time of year. The Spectabilis continues to put up what seems to me to be ENORMOUS shoots, but I am like the fisherman who caught a guppy and can only see a whale. These shoots still aren't growing fast, just sort of emerging in very slow motion, brownish grey spears of powerful potential. I see particularly big shoots near the perimeter, so I naturally wonder whether I didn't miss a few wayward tentacles when I rhizome pruned in Oct, Nov. Did I forget? So many plants, so little muscle.
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa
serenityinbamboo

Bamboomoon you are definitely not alone in that attachment. I go out about 4 times a day when I am home.

Went out this morning and here's pics.

They are not the greatest pics, I still need to get a camera[/img]