What would you do in this situation?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

sicktght311
Location info: 0

What would you do in this situation?

Post by sicktght311 »

Ok so heres the background. I have a growth of bamboo along my property line between myself and my neighbor that was apparently planted by the owners of our house around 15-20 years ago, but never really contained. It has since grown into my neighbors yard, and has continued to grow in my yard paralell to the fence, but for the exception of a few runners here and there, hasnt really penetrated further into my yard depth wise. It looks like when the owners installed the bamboo, they sunk (what i think) is railroad ties to help contain it to the fence line. When i dig down along the line where the bamboo seems to stop, i find crumbling wood so thats what leads me to believe.

ANYWAY

I already had a few professionals come in to give me estimates and the one guy i think i'm going to go with, gave me the same estimate for removing my side of bamboo, and installing a barrier along the entire fence line, as well as taking the fence down between our properties and removing the entire bamboo growth. So the logical solution would be to obviously remove all of the bamboo and put up a new fence between the properties. HOWEVER my neighbor does ZERO in terms of property care and maintenance, doesnt really touch the bamboo on their side, and has overgrown vines along the fence line that has pretty much started to disintegrate the fence (not to mention almost entirely swallow a small motorcycle they have parked along the property that has never moved since we moved in). My fear is, that if we pay to have the bamboo removed, and they pay for a new fence (since technically the existing fence is theirs, and is leaning onto our property from all the weight of the vines and overgrowth), they wont be diligent in making sure that any rhizomes that were missed in the removal process are promptly dug out so as to not regrow. I dont want to spend X thousand dollars for this removal only to have them slack and have it regrow back into our properties a few years from now.

The other option is to remove our side, and install the barrier, however with their crumbling ugly fence, i would want to install a new fence along our property line as well. So what do i do in that case? Remove bamboo, install new fence, and have the bamboo barrier installed on our side of the fence? Have the barrier installed between the two fences and just watch for anything that goes over the barrier and then under our fence? Might be difficult to see.

So what would you do in my situation?
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: What would you do in this situation?

Post by stevelau1911 »

Have you talked to your neighbor at all?

If they are willing to get rid of the bamboo, or at least let you get rid of it, you could get it wiped out over the course of next season. I think it would make the most sense to just wipe out the entire grove so it doesn't come back. I believe that if your neighbor doesn't love the bamboo too much, he will at least agree to getting it contained on his property.

All you need to do it clear cut every single culm with a lopper, or better yet, reciprocating saw, let it regrow all the way, cut it again before leaves can fully emerge, and then there should only be tiny survival shoots that appear after that. If it is the regular yellow groove, then the survival shoots may occur a few times, but from that point on, you can simply wipe them out before they can re-leaf with a lawn mower. The regrowth will become significantly weaker and more isolated as rhizomes will gradually rot underground when there is no source of photosynthesis.

This method is far cheaper than what the professionals will propose because their objective is to get as much money as possible out of the project with a method that involves removing every piece of the plant which can be a huge waste of money if you understand how the plant grows.
dependable

Post by dependable »

If your neighbors are not into having the bamboo removed from their property, the installation of good rhizome barrier along your fence line will almost eliminate the amount of work you have to do to keep bamboo out.

If they are trash like me, you want them to keep their bamboo so you don't have to look the old motorcycle. Next thing you know it might be an old motor home or army truck. You'll like the green barrier then. {;
zxylene

Post by zxylene »

I agree with both Steve and dependable.
Another way might be to cut most of it to the ground as Steve said on your side and just mow the area regularly and pay attention to where shoots are trying to come up and drive a spade in every so often to sever rhizomes if they are heading to an area you don't want them.
sicktght311

Post by sicktght311 »

Well i think the biggest things are the following

1) i'm addressing this with my neighbor this winter/spring before i get anything done, however i can already guarantee they're not gonna want to pay for anything. They dont take care of their property and already tried telling us that it was our responsibility to remove it when we first moved yet. Umm no, there is no town ordinance in our town governing removal of bamboo. Until there is, its only our responsibility to remove ours.

2) I'm just afraid of regrowth after removal. Our goal for our side is complete removal of all rhizomes and preventing regrowth so we can lay new grass down and reclaim the space as useable yard (would love to put a pergola or pool cabana in that area). I know they will not stay on top of mowing, or cutting down regrowth so i feel like any attempts at removal of both sides will just be met with regrowth from their side that creeps back under our fence without a barrier.

3) You're right, i do enjoy the privacy screen that the bamboo does create, so i kinda dont wanna remove their side haha. I'm just trying to figure out how to remove the growth on our side (solid 4-5 feet deep towards the fence in some areas), put in a new PVC fence against their fence to clean things up, and then prevent growth under the fence from their side. With a barrier, i can assume i would have to install it on our side of the new fence, and just be diligent during the growing season to cut any rhizomes attempting to jump the barrier?
jd.

Post by jd. »

sicktght311 wrote:It has since grown into my neighbors yard, and has continued to grow in my yard paralell to the fence, but for the exception of a few runners here and there, hasnt really penetrated further into my yard depth wise.
That doesn't seem like a particularly aggressive bamboo. Indefinite maintenance can be simply combined with routine lawn care.
sicktght311 wrote: So what would you do in my situation?
I wouldn't expect any cooperation from a negligent neighbor. I'd just cut down the bamboo on my side of the property line and trim the lawn as new bamboo shoots emerge.

If I wanted to replace that bamboo with a different variety of bamboo I would dig out the existing bamboo and install an 80 mil (2 mm) HDPE barrier that runs 30 to 36 inches deep to keep out the neighbor's bamboo. While digging for a barrier I'd also consider installing post foundations below the frost line for a new fence.
sicktght311

Post by sicktght311 »

Here, this gives you a better idea of what i'm working with.

THE BULK OF THE BAMBOO GROWTH ALONG THE FENCELINE. ITS ABOUT 3 FEET DEEP ON THE LEFT SIDE, AND ABOUT 5-6 FEET DEEP AS YOU APPROACH THE RIGHT SIDE (BACK OF THE PROPERTY)
LOOKING TOWARDS THE FRONT YARD
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/ ... 140949.jpg
AGAIN LOOKING TOWARDS FRONT, WITH NEIGHBORS FENCE THATS FALLING OVER. COVERED IN WEEDS AND VINES GROWING FROM THEIR YARD
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/ ... 140954.jpg
LOOKING ALONG THE LINE WHERE THE BAMBOO DOESNT SPREAD PAST. THERES RUNNERS THAT RUN FROM THE MAIN PLANTS THAT I PULL FROM THE GROUND. WHEN THEY GET TO THIS POINT, THEY'RE COVERED IN PETRIFIED WOOD
PORTION OF ONE OF THE MAIN CLUMPS OF BAMBOO RIGHT ALONG WHERE IT STOPS BEING THICK. ALREADY CUT A FEW STALKS JUST TO SEE HOW THICK IT WAS. THE BAMBOO CONSISTS OF (WHAT LOOKS LIKE) LARGE CLUMPS AS YOU GO ALONG THE FENCE LINE, AND THEN HAS RUNNERS SHOOTING OUT FROM THAT CONTINUE ALONG FENCE LINE TO THE FRONT YARD WITH SMALLER LITTLE SECTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN CUT BY THE PREVIUOS OWNERS (AND MYSELF)
dependable

Post by dependable »

While I'm not so good at plant ID form photos, it looks like Psudosasa japonica (also called arrow wood bamboo). Around here, it is a moderately spreading bamboo. Easier to mow than some of the timber boos as well.

Looks like yours may have some freeze damage to leaves. If that's so, the old culms may be frozen to ground, and only new growth will come back up, and only in area adjacent to current stand. This species is not that good at refoliation. Not sure how that would affect your plans.
sicktght311

Post by sicktght311 »

Yes, from what i've read it looks like pseudosasa Japonica, which is common for my area.

My biggest concern still revolves around keeping it from coming back into my yard from my neighbors yard after i remove. I can handle a few days with a chainsaw, pick axe, and friends with shovels to remove my entire grove, however i dont want to do all the work only to have shoots come right back into my yard in the fall or spring. Barrier obviously is an option. I figure if i'm gonna dig a trench along my fence line to check every season for growths, i might as well have a barrier installed, no?

My ultimate goal is to remove all the bamboo, and reclaim the space as grass to enjoy
jd.

Post by jd. »

sicktght311 wrote:I can handle a few days with a chainsaw, pick axe, and friends with shovels to remove my entire grove, however i dont want to do all the work only to have shoots come right back into my yard in the fall or spring.
If you don't enjoy digging, you can take the long approach to replace the bamboo with grass. Cut down all the bamboo to ground level or slightly below. Once you cut out all the hard culms, you can easily mow down any soft new shoots of such a small bamboo.

Grass tolerates mowing much better than bamboo and will eventually grow into the area.

Also tossing some grass seed in the early spring onto any disturbed soil can further promote new grass. If there's shade, choose a more shade-tolerant grass like creeping red fescue.
sicktght311 wrote: My ultimate goal is to remove all the bamboo, and reclaim the space as grass to enjoy
Tender new shoots of a smaller bamboo can be quickly mowed along with the grass. A barrier becomes a stronger consideration where you cannot mow often.
sicktght311

Post by sicktght311 »

I think my goal is to attempt a full removal of my side this spring, refill the area with fresh topsoil and seed for grass, have a new fence installed along the property line, and then watch monthly for any new shoots coming from their side. If it looks like they're propagating fast and furious towards my side, i'll have a barrier installed at the end of the summer

At least thats what i think i'm going forward with haha, we'll see what happens when me and a bunch of friends get in there with shovels
jd.

Post by jd. »

Being gung ho about digging out the root system manually, you'd do well to obtain a bamboo slammer tool and some pry bars. You may discover that shovels are easily destroyed when misused to pry out bamboo rhizomes.

Of course, if you have a friend with an excavator... ;)
sicktght311

Post by sicktght311 »

jd. wrote:Being gung ho about digging out the root system manually, you'd do well to obtain a bamboo slammer tool and some pry bars. You may discover that shovels are easily destroyed when misused to pry out bamboo rhizomes.

Of course, if you have a friend with an excavator... ;)
Yeah i think that might be my first investigation.....into renting a mini excavator to just get it all out in one big swoop. Theres a few small trees and bushes interspersed with the bamboo that i'll be removing as well so might as well use power!
dependable

Post by dependable »

Just remember to locate any utilities that might be near before you start in with machine.

If the stand is killed to the ground this winter, the new shoots that will come up in spring will be sparse, tender, and easy to keep mowed. But if you have the machine to dig trench, barrier might be good idea anyway if you want it to be maintenance free and you neighbor is going to let stand re grow.

It will be interesting to see how the P japonica fairs this winter. The storm which you were just though in Long Island, and still going here, is likely to add to the toll previous freeze took on these plants.
sicktght311

Post by sicktght311 »

Yeah, with the 5 degree temps we've had today and will likely have for the rest of the week, i'm sure the boo isnt gonna fair too well and should be even easier to remove comes spring. First order of business though is taking my chainsaw to the poles once the snow thaws out again and cutting everything down to ground level (and figuring out how to get rid of all the cut down bamboo as well haha)