Planting time is here...

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Planting time is here...

Post by boonut »

Just got back from the farm... planted a Bambusa Emeiensis ?viridiflavus? and a Black Sapote tree.

Over spring break (March 12 - 19), I will plant a row of alternating Bambusa Lako and Bambusa Eutuldoides 'viridi vittata'. I'll send pics in a few years. Most of the bamboo is either in 15 gallon containers or 38 gallon containers.

Bambusa Beecheyana "pubescens" looks very nice... it has quite a bit of new growth on the branches with dark green leaves. Even the Dendrocalamus Giganteus "Quail" is putting out new branches.

Rainbow Eucalyptus made it through the winter just fine. The mango tree did just fine as well. I was a little worried because it was only about 2 feet tall.

Coldest temp this winter was 34.5F for a little over an hour. With all the rain, it should be a very good growing season.

Time to get out of the house and out to the farm.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
marcat
Location info: 28

RE: Planting time is here...

Post by marcat »

Allen when does the most of your Bamboo go through leaf change?
MarCat
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Planting time is here...

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:...snip..
Over spring break (March 12 - 19), I will plant a row of alternating Bambusa Lako and Bambusa Eutuldoides 'viridi vittata'. I'll send pics in a few years. Most of the bamboo is either in 15 gallon containers or 38 gallon containers.
...snip...
Rather than a few years for pics, how about some pictures at the beginning of the growing season, some pictures at the middle of the growing season (new shots and culm before leafing out), and pictures at the end of the growing season. That way, then people can get some idea about the progress on your row and how many year it take to fill into a nice looking row that perhaps then also give some visual screening effect.

Bambusa Lako Viridi VittataBambusa LakoViridi VittataBambusa Lako Viridi VittataBambusa Lako Viridi Vittata
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Re: RE: Planting time is here...

Post by boonut »

marcat wrote:Allen when does the most of your Bamboo go through leaf change?
MarCat
Most of my bamboo have already lost quite a bit of the older leaves and are now sending out new branches and leaves. Some of the new tiny B. Lako branches look a little toasted, but you can already see new growth coming through. I also have new shoots for quite a few different bamboo. The Bambusa Lako in my front yard already has new shoots. The ones at the farm do not.

The only one I remember that is not sending out new branches yet is D. Asper (all the branches are very small still). D. Asper "Betung Hitam" is sending out new branches... still pretty small though. It is in a little more protected area.
Last edited by boonut on Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

boonut

Re: Planting time is here...

Post by boonut »

Roy wrote:
Rather than a few years for pics, how about some pictures at the beginning of the growing season, some pictures at the middle of the growing season (new shots and culm before leafing out), and pictures at the end of the growing season. That way, then people can get some idea about the progress on your row and how many year it take to fill into a nice looking row that perhaps then also give some visual screening effect.

Bambusa Lako Viridi VittataBambusa LakoViridi VittataBambusa Lako Viridi VittataBambusa Lako Viridi Vittata
I think it will take a couple of years to see the B. Lako take off... but the B. Eutuldoides will take off immediately. B. Eutuldoides never stopped shooting all through winter... still putting up new shoots. I will take a pic of the row when they are planted. This row will extend a row already started that has 2 - D. Sinicus, 2 - D. minor "amoenus", 1 - D. Asper, and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head. Those have about 38 feet between each clump... the row of alternating bamboo (B. Lako and B. Eutultoides "viridi vittata" will have about 25 feet between clumps. Holes are ready to go.

That row is about 90 feet south of a row of B. Oldhamii from tissue culture.
The rows run east/west.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

boonut

Post by boonut »

15 Day Forecast...

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-15 ... 0&metric=0

Turn on the air conditioning... February 28th projected High - 86F
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

litibu
Location info: 0
Location: Higuera Blanca, Nayarit mexico - 30 miles N of Puerto Vallarta

Post by litibu »

the lako may surprise you. i took culm cuttings (2.5" in diameter) and rooted them. after about 12 months i planted them in a row -- no sign of new growth whatsoever but good root development.

It is now just over 12 months in the ground and i have a row of 60 lako's planted 20 feet apart and each clump has between 5 and 15 culms and average 12 feet tall.

I planted a litchi tree between each clump so in retrospect they are too close -- litchi likes full sun to set fruit.

Mind you i have no winter season her in Mexico but the lako has done amazingly well.

My biggest problem was rooting the culms (only 20% success rate). part of the problem is i am not very religious about my watering schedule so I'm sure i cooked quite a few.

Anyway the lako for me has been very fast growing.

look forward to seeing your pics!
boonut

Post by boonut »

litibu,

I looked up your city on MapQuest. Looks like you have a really nice place. I also looked at your site. My wife and I need to plan a trip. I used to do quite a bit more driving in Mexico. I used to go mountain bike riding near Saltillo and scuba diving off Tuxpan and Isla de Lobos. The Autopista makes driving in Mexico a lot easier, but it looks like driving to your area would be more than what I have done before. Looks like round trip air fare is only around $440 to Puerto Vallarta.

It was nice taking off in the summer and going up into the mountains near Saltillo and having to turn on a heater at night.

I look forward to seeing Litibu Gardens. I wish it was easier to bring bamboo back into the states, but... not a good plan. I have heard of quite a few people from the US that find little communities in Mexico to retire.

Maybe we can get a group together from bambooweb.info to visit.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

litibu
Location: Higuera Blanca, Nayarit mexico - 30 miles N of Puerto Vallarta

Post by litibu »

yes, i am in a small town on the outskirts of Puerto Vallarta. Its growing by leaps and bounds all the time. many people from USA and Canada retiring here.

used to be complicated to buy land here but its all getting titled now little by little and its easy to buy with title insurance and all.

the trick is to buy just before it titles (a year or so before). Then its way cheaper and when it titles you can sell off half to pay for building a home or getting back your investment.

I have a website where people buy/sell/rent property -- all free service by owner stuff. if you want to see what land/homes look like here take a look. The high prices may surprise you. going up all the time.

http://www.banderasbay.com

but once you get away from the hot tourist areas prices go way down. lots of nice river front stuff for boo lovers -- some of its really cheap and close to small towns etc.

I would be happy to show folks around.

cheers

Jeff
mr.mike

Post by mr.mike »

Even though it's a gamble @ this time of year, I've already done some planting. In the past 3 weeks I've planted the following boos: D. latiflorus Mei-nung, B. odashime (edulis), B. hirose, B. e. viridivittata, B. burmanica, B. dolichaclada 'stripe', D. giganteus (quail), B.t. scranton, & B. gibba. They are mulched heavily and the few cold nights, tonight being another one, we've had I've kept them warm with lights and blankets. So far so good. I have acquired my Schizostachym brachycladum but it will have to wait for a month or so to be planted!
I like to get a jump on growing season so when it does get warm again the plants already have a good month or so of underground root development under way. Crazy...perhaps, but it's worked for 3 years straight without any losses! If I lose one, I replace one.
Allen, good luck with all of your upcoming planting! Oh, it's supposed to get into the mid 30's here tonight! Brrrr.
mr.mike[/img]
boonut

Post by boonut »

I went back out to the farm and tried to plant one of the Parker's Giants, but it just wasn't ready yet. Needs a little more root time. It has a new shoot, so I don't want to disturb the roots.

Mike, when you get a chance, send some pics. I just visited "Coolshare's" place and looked at several others that I could find. I think it is interesting how everyone uses bamboo.

When I get a little more time, I would like to visit as many places as possible to see what is growing and to get ideas. Florida is definitely on the visit list.

Stay warm!!!!
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

Mr. Mike,

Where did you get the B. odashime (edulis) from?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
marcat

Post by marcat »

Mike I would not worry about planting this time of year. In 2004 I planted a B.oldhammi one week before our 100 year snow and two months later it looked better than one that had been in the ground four months longer and was shooting. We do not normally get cold weather in December is why I was planting at that time thought I would have at least a month of warm weather for it to get established. After that as long as the long range forecasts show mild weather for a week I will plant a Bamboo.
MarCat
marcat

Post by marcat »

Allen I am catching up with you. Was cleaning up an Oldhammii for division today and found allot of hidden new growth. So I went and checked on the rest of my in ground Boo and found most showing new branches and leaves forming. Oh happy me.Now wait a minute that means I am late for my spring fertilizing and stuff arrgghhh more work.
MarCat
boonut

Post by boonut »

I hear that Marcat... I was thinking the same thing. I have Sahara Bermuda grass at the farm and although it stands up to the harsh heat, wind and sun... it usually turns brown in the winter for a month or so. It is already starting to grow and put out seed. We are usually very dry from January - April or so and don't normally see this much spring growth.

Double arrgghhhh!!!! I can't spend that much time on the bamboo because I have to spend time cutting 21.43 acres of grass. I have to make sure the weeds don't get established each time we get lots of rain. The coastal bermuda (taller and more aggressive) and johnson grass is also putting out seed. I have to be very careful with fertilizers right now. Always a pain... I want to grow big boo and anything I do there also grows thick grass around the boo. Round Up... fertilize... weed eat... round up... fertilize... weed eat. Again the good news is the grass slows down considerably during the really hot summer months... where the bamboo continues to grow well with plenty of water.

We are supposed to get even more rain... the weather patterns are sure changing. I went out to the farm and also noticed that most of it was flooded. I have leaky irrigation pipes, so when a neighboring farmer floods, I also get plenty of water. The only good news there is no $$$.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm