bamboo as a sound barrier

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: bamboo as a sound barrier

Post by needmore »

Roy, some runners do indeed form open groves, but my Bissetii & Rubro are both tough to walk through, in fact the Bissetii is a dark & scarry place. They produce culms faster and in greater quantities than any other Phy's I can think of. It seems like they'll produce culm on several successive buds, on several rhizomes starting in their 2nd season. Combined with their cold tolerance they are the ideal z6 screening species for folks in a hurry.

I do know what you are talking about with the clumpers, I remember having to walk in a stream in the Jamaica countryside as the bamboo was so thick we had no way round/through. My guess is though, that it took more than a couple of years for that to have developed so thickly.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
pld5000

Post by pld5000 »

In landscape design courses that I have taken we were taught that plants with fine textures make the best sound barriers. I guess fine textured plants have greater surface area and thus absorb more sound waves. I have found this to be my experience in the landscape as well both with P. aurea and the over planted Leyland Cypress in more northern climates. I have an eastern wall of Bambusa malingensis and it makes a excellent sound barrier against a heavily trafficked highway two blocks away. I achieved this in one year from 3 gallon plants.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: bamboo as a sound barrier

Post by Roy »

Post deleted. Information not desired.
Last edited by Roy on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
litibu
Location: Higuera Blanca, Nayarit mexico - 30 miles N of Puerto Vallarta

Post by litibu »

I recently read an article (can't recall where) where they suggested that plantings can be very effctive sould barriers but that part of the formula was to plant taller plants in the back then medium sized plants in front of those and then shorter ones in front of those. Creating a curve essentially.

The goal was to reflect sound from the home in much the same was as one would bounce back water back using a curved breakwater.

something like that. so perhaps this could be applied to bambo as well
Roy

Post by Roy »

Post deleted. Information not desired.
Last edited by Roy on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Rogers
needmore

Post by needmore »

Roy, I think Aurea is a zone 7-8 bamboo where it can do extremely well but as you & I have seen, we are outside the margins and it is my biggest bamboo disappointment here. I recently mulched a hillside with one of my 'groves' of it - freshly dug out.
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

Dies to the ground at 0 degrees F here in 6b. Though we haven't gotten 0 temps yet this winter (it was 4F last night). I don't bother with golden bamboo because it has to "start from scratch" every season. Some landscapers use it because that winter setback helps control running. I prefer P. aureosulcata because it is much hardier.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

If aurea dies each year to the ground, what height does it come back as? Would it be around 10'? I think I'm going to move mine, it seems to get too much shade.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Iowaboo wrote:If aurea dies each year to the ground, what height does it come back as? Would it be around 10'? I think I'm going to move mine, it seems to get too much shade.
Spring of 2002 I planted 20 each, large Aurea & Viridis field divisions. I gave some of the Aurea what I think is my best micro climate spot, the rest along with the Viridis was planted out in the open. The Aurea has reached about 6 feet tall, the Viridis 22 feet by 1.75 inch diameter. I'd estimate that the Viridis is at least 10 degrees hardier, but maybe Aurea is just extremely slow to build cold tolerance.

The micro climate Aurea I dug out in November and threw away all but a few small divisions - come and get them. I'll likely dig out the remainder this spring as it just does not deserve the ground space here. I have some 7 gallon pots of the 'Koi' that will not make it into the ground here - anyone warm enough to grow it that wants to drive up for it we can perhaps do a trade.
bamboozal

Post by bamboozal »

needmore wrote:......I think Aurea ....................is my biggest bamboo disappointment here. .
I'm with Brad. So far, we've had a really mild winter here but still my aureas are not looking too cheerful. It seems like such a waste to throw it all away but the thought of dried out aureas in winters to come sends shivers down my spine.
cheers,
Adrian.
Markj

Post by Markj »

No winter damage here with aurea/forms but without any summer heat the plant could almost be described as clumping. Perhaps it's one that will grow in a huge range of climes dose need certain conditions to excel.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Maybe I'll just pot it up and use it as a christmas tree.
puiugrosu
Location: I am a bamboo collector from Romania, eastern Europe I am a beginer and want to trade bamboo seeds plants and rhizomes with people from all around the world.I am a musician , but bamboo is my first hobby!

Post by puiugrosu »

Hello all,
Ok friends, thanks , but until now nobody gave me an answer, a well-informed solution at this problem!If someone gets some documents not only personal commentaries , that's what I'm waiting 4 :)
!Thanks again!
Puiu Grosu
A musician who loves bamboo verry, verry much!
Puiu
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hello Puiu,

I know the perfect bamboo for you and your sound barrier/ pollution cleaning screen.

Phyllostachys aureocaulis 'Spectabilis' is a beautiful, very hardy, and will grow with vigor no matter where it finds itself. If I could only grow one bamboo this would be it.

As an artist you will revel in its beauty, and movement. It has bright yellow culms with a green grove that grabs the light, and draws the eye. The leaves are exceptionally green with lots of cream stripped variegation. The branches grow all the way to the ground, and can be limbed up to show off the culms in the foreground, and left on culms at the rear to form a dark backdrop that shows the culms to their advantage.

It will form a very thick groove, and if you root trim the perimeter 2 X yearly it will fill in very quickly. I have 114 different bamboo in the ground, and 'Spectabilis' still catches my eye.

As a sound barrier it will be as good as any other bamboo, and better than most. Cady mentioned the pleasant sounds of the grove moving in the wind. It is a very soothing sound to the ear, almost musical in nature.

Do you have any bamboo books?
I have several USDA books on disc, and would be happy to send you a copy. Just send me a PM with your address, and I'll mail you a copy as a gift to a fellow bamboo enthusiast.

Regards,

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Roy

Post by Roy »

puiugrosu wrote:Hello all,
Ok friends, thanks , but until now nobody gave me an answer, a well-informed solution at this problem!If someone gets some documents not only personal commentaries , that's what I'm waiting 4 :)
!Thanks again!
Puiu Grosu
Pulu,

Without the personal experiences of the people who have tried to give you information, then you would be stuck at your original post and there would be no posts after your original question.

Since you seem to desire no comments other than scientific data, published in a journal, by experts with a degree in sound barrier technology, I have deleted all my comments from your post. Perhaps others should follow suit. :salute:
Roy Rogers