Got hardy ferns?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

RE: Got hardy ferns?

Post by ocimum_nate »

Does anyone have any sucess pictures they want to share. So far my tree ferns are about 5 inches wide and growing quite quickly.
Japanese painted ferns are about an inch and a half tall now.
arborgramen

Re: Got hardy ferns?

Post by arborgramen »

ocimum_nate wrote:Just wondering if anyone out there has hardy ferns? I would like to get some fern spores from anyone that is willing to share.
We have native Christmas Ferns here. They handle full sun, drought, etc. They appreciate better treatment, but they are tough. They may do well for you. PM me if you'd like some. By the way, bloody good job growing them from spores.
"One crowded hour of glorious life, Is worth an age without a name." Sir Walter Scott
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

These pictures are at least a month old so things have grown a bit more since they were taken.
Tree Ferns
Japanese painted ferns
Dryopteris sp. From thuja
I just divided the tree fern into 4 plants this week.
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Your tree ferns are amazing. My Dryopteris marginalis looks about the same as yours, --very slow progress. I haven't seen any mature-looking fronds yet. I don't know if it's too warm, too wet, too sunny, or too what.
--Mike
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I don't know if it's too warm, too wet, too sunny, or too what.
or too Wiconsinny.
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

Margin Leather Wood Fern should be happy here, but I know all of the bamboos feel out of place here. 'Hoosier' Rivercane is almost happy if I pipe Hoosier fight songs out the window during hot summer days.

Happy Fathers' Day, Iowaboo. You are father to many a shrub and tree.
--Mike
ocimum_nate

Post by ocimum_nate »

I divided my Japanese painted fern last night before I went to bed and planted the plants into 11 8oz yogurt cup pots out of the 16 oz sour cream pot that I had them in. My tree fern has taken off I potted it in a 6 inch pot and the spread on the fronds is now over 15 inches.
ocimum_nate

Post by ocimum_nate »

The largest of my tree ferns. Now well over 12 inches across.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

The parent Japanese Painted Fern is barely surviving the drought despite getting watered every chance I get. I do have plenty of offspring that I will try and find better places for once they get some size.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ocimum_nate

Post by ocimum_nate »

Some updated pictures of my fern project.
Dryopteris marginalis is the one in the foreground and I have japanese painted ferns behind them. They went dormant and looked really ratty for a little over a month but now they are all pushing up new growth and looking healthy.
My japanese painted ferns before the dormancy.
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

Nate-- Your ferns are looking great. My Dryopteris_marginalis are finally starting to look like ferns.
--Mike
ocimum_nate

Post by ocimum_nate »

I put out a lady fern and one of my japanese painted ferns last year. They survived the winter and are now putting up new fronds so I am quite happy.
ocimum_nate

Post by ocimum_nate »

My latest endeavor to hybridize any 2 of the following japanese painted, lady fern and dre's dagger fern
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I'd love to get more painted ferns without having to buy them! Are they easy to divide? Does growing from spore (or whatever the terminology is) result in a plant with the exact same characteristics?
ocimum_nate

Post by ocimum_nate »

I have never divided them although of the ferns I have grown from spores they have been the easiest, in fact I had some of my small ones setting spores in my amaryllis seedlings and growing. There is a bit of variance from the parent plant but I don't mind at one time I probably had about 20 in yogurt cups.
If anyone has spore baring plants that they wouldn't mind sending to me of unusual hardy ferns I would greatly appreciate it.
I like the idea of raising the spores in the Ferrero Roche plastic container. Although yesterday I had a mishap and dropped the container I lost about 20-30% of them I was really upset hopefully they recover.