Castor plants

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Castor plants

Post by foxd »

Here it is November 4th and the Castor Bean plants are still looking pretty good, including the miniature one that is only about a foot tall, but has lots of leaves. Though it has yet to produce a single seed pod. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Here is a picture of Mini-Castor:

Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

yeah, hard freezes have pretty much reduced them to rumble in the past week. I guess I have plenty of castorbean nuts to snack on while I watch the superbowl next year.
foxd

Re: RE: Castor plants

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo wrote:yeah, hard freezes have pretty much reduced them to rumble in the past week. I guess I have plenty of castorbean nuts to snack on while I watch the superbowl next year.
We got a bit of freezing temperatures, enough to make mine look all wilted. I should check to see if they recovered.

I too have plenty of castor bean nuts, which I am willing to trade for interesting seeds or plants that can usually survive the Indiana winters.

I also have Datura inoxia seeds to trade. It has large white flowers and is deer resistant. Unless they develop a taste for it, in which case you have hallucinating deer wandering about the neighborhood doing weird things.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Kind of freaky going to the CNN page and seeing a picture of Castor Bean Nuts illustrating a news story about Ricin in a hotel in Las Vegas.

Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Is it the bean or the husk that the poison is made from?
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
foxd

Post by foxd »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Is it the bean or the husk that the poison is made from?
It is apparently extracted from the bean. IIRC, one of the reasons we invaded Iraq was that Saddam had a manufacturing plant that made castor oil for brake fluid. The mash left over COULD have the Ricin extracted from it.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Well, so much for watching CSI reruns last week.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
foxd

Post by foxd »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Well, so much for watching CSI reruns last week.
:?:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Last week on CSI (TV show) they talked about the poison being extracted from the husk. I had always thought the bean, but never made any myself.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Last week on CSI (TV show) they talked about the poison being extracted from the husk. I had always thought the bean, but never made any myself.
I would do a Google search to find out, but I'm afraid I might have some gov't boys show up on my doorstep tomorrow morning.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
foxd

Post by foxd »

Roy wrote:
Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Last week on CSI (TV show) they talked about the poison being extracted from the husk. I had always thought the bean, but never made any myself.
I would do a Google search to find out, but I'm afraid I might have some gov't boys show up on my doorstep tomorrow morning.
Yeah, I never looked it up for the same reason. However on a CNN video, some police official told how to extract it from the bean. Doh!
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Yeah, I've done a google search on that, and you get step by step instructions how to make ricin. Apparently, amateurs may kill themselves in attempting such things. :shock:
foxd

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo wrote:Yeah, I've done a google search on that, and you get step by step instructions how to make ricin. Apparently, amateurs may kill themselves in attempting such things. :shock:
Which is apparently what almost happened in las Vegas.

Years ago there was a rumor that the Anarchist's Cookbook was written by the CIA and filled with errors in order to kill off potential anarchists. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I read the cookbook years ago. It seemed to me to give you just enough data to do just that!
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas