Other Plants Around Bambusa Oldhamii

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Scott
Location info: 0
Zone 9A

Other Plants Around Bambusa Oldhamii

Post by Scott »

Hi,

I'm planting 3 'islands' in my yard, with the oldhamii in two of them. I wanted to make a tight cluster of plants in each - alowing room for growth of course. With the clumping habits of oldhamii, can or will it overtake the other plants? How close can other plants, palms etc. be planted?

Thanks for any input,

Scott
San Fernando Valley, Ca
Zone 9A
magsc21
Zone 9a

RE: Other Plants Around Bambusa Oldhamii

Post by magsc21 »

Hey, I had a similar sort of question a while ago. I got some nice photos in reply.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 232.html?9

Also, here is a photo of my one successful plant under a bamboo, lirope:

This clump is about 6' across and was planted from a 5gallon container 4 or 5 years ago. I think you can probably put things as close as you would like, as long as you won't be devastated when the bamboo shoots right through it each summer. Also, bamboo is evergreen, but it sheds up to half its leaves in the spring as new leaves are coming in. The leaves can really make a mess if they land on top of a bunch of pretty plants, and it's best to leave them there to mulch the bamboo. Good luck!
Scott
Zone 9A

Post by Scott »

Thanks for the reply! I think the lirope makes a great addition to the bamboo. I'm gonna look into that.

It's interesting about the leaves. I planned on spreading some bark mulch around as a weed deterrent.

Also the other thread you linked to is very helpful I'm checking that out.

Has yours grown (clump wise) circular or more oval shaped?

Also, I guess you can cut the culms to shape the foot print of it the way you like. Have you found this to be so? This plant seems very versatile.

Thanks so much!
San Fernando Valley, Ca
Zone 9A
magsc21
Zone 9a

Post by magsc21 »

Hi Scott,
I read somewhere that the bamboo likes lots of silicon, which is already in their leaves, so if you leave them under the plant to compost, it just returns it to the plant. But bark mulch is fine to start with, and will protect your roots from excessive heat and drying out, and keep them warm in the winter. Then maybe when you get some spring leaf drop, you can just leave it there and work in into the bark.

As for pruning and shaping, I would probably leave the plants alone for the first few years. Every culm you remove means fewer leaves and less energy for new culms the next year. After you have a bigger plant, then you can just snap the culms off while they are shooting, easiest if you wait until it's 6-8" out of the ground (you could even eat the shoots if you dare!) Next year's new culms should only grow off of rhizomes that support a living culm, i.e. if you snap one off, you shouldn't see new growth off that rhizome next year. (At least that has been my experience for the Oldhamii, but others may have had different experiences.)

So, you could effectively take a circular clump, and snap off new culms from two sides and convince it to grow more as an oval. I have removed several along the fence side, since the previous owners planted the boo about 3' from the fence and I don't have any new shoots on that side this year.

The lirope works pretty well under the bamboo. For reference, what I have is Liriope muscari 'Big Blue' It gets about 20" high and spreads slowly. There are several plants out there that resembling this plant (especially when they are all small) with names like monkey grass and mondo grass. I would recommend you try to find the "Big Blue" and avoid Lirope spicata which has crazy running rhizomes, I guess somewhat analogous to running bamboo. Muscari is pretty maintenance free.

Hope that helps.

-Maggie
Scott
Zone 9A

Post by Scott »

Maggie,

Thanks so much for the info! It's been real helpful. I can't wait for the Oldhamii to get here. I'll post some pics when I get it in. :D

Thanks again!
San Fernando Valley, Ca
Zone 9A