BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:50 am 

One plant that I thought was dead for sure was the pomegrante which is listed for zone 6. It died all the way back to perhaps the bottom 6 inches, but it's definitely coming back, likely stronger this year. I also doubt it will get hit with this tough of a winter again.

It looks like the main corm on the gunnera died off, but there is a side branch growing off which will likely make a full recovery. I will need to add some slug pellets to give it a chance to grow.

I wasn't sure if the ginseng would come back, but here's my largest one. At close to 8 inches tall, I would have expected it to turn into a 4 prong, but as long as I keep the soil loose, they should thrive.

I never knew carrots would over-winter here especially when they stick out of the ground through winter, but I guess the carrot can keep growing almost indefinitely until it is triggered to flower.

This is a woodland peony that I got form a neighbor 2 years ago, and I'm kind of surprised that the seedlings would finally sprout. They are clearly different than the tree peony seedlings I'm accustomed to seeing.

http://stevespeonygarden.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 pm 

Carrots are biennials, so flower their second year. The roots are quite cold-hardy. :)