Experimental tree seed order

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Experimental tree seed order

Post by stevelau1911 »

Would magnolia seeds germinate well indoors in the late winter?

I've tried them a few times, and never succeeded, but if they are done indoors, then there may be a better chance of success.
johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

re: mag seed

The orange coating on the black seeds must be removed before stratification - soak them in water for a few days to loosen the orange pulp. Then wash the seeds in warm water with dishing washing liquid tio remove the inhibiting oily residue left from that pulp.

Once magnolia seeds have had their requisite 90 day moist (but not wet) stratification at 5c in the fridge they need heat and humidity for 3-6 weeks to germinate. At no time should they dry out. Once they sprout they cannot tolerate cool-cold conditions and you must maintain humidity indoors. We do the latter using a 10" high dome over the flat of 2-2.5" wide x 3-4" deep pots (one seed per pot) under lights. They don't transplant well at this stage. They can go outside at the time you'd plant your most tender vegetable in the ground (i.e. min. low 18-20c), taking care not to sun scorch them or let them dry out. The larger they get the easier they are to care for. Pot into 1 gallons when they are completely pot bound
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

John - Was just toying with ideas. I personally find the acuminata gorgeous, but then again its unfamiliar here so....

Stave - Everything john said. Do not under any circumstances let mould build up, it kills the seeds outright. They also apparently need pretty much complete darkness to germinate. Most of mine popped in the fridge, and none after. They seem quite hardy when young though, at least the tripetala I managed to germinate. Expect low germination ratios though....
johnw

Post by johnw »

cp / Steve:

re: magnolia seed

If you are getting mould on the seed in cold storage either the seed is no good or you are using the wrong material to keep them moist. Live green sphagnum moss never gives us such trouble here, some use dampened vermiculite, damp sand and with caution damp peat (the worst choice). I have never heard about mag seed requiring darkness to germinate but then again planted an inch or so deep would give darkness but doesn't explain why M. sieboldii seeds sprout all through compacted lawns here, surely they must be sitting right on the ground.

For years I have sent seed exchanges my own good form of sieboldii. Recipients sprout it reliably every year but the ones I keep take 2 years - I reckon the greenhouse is simply not warm enough here to jump start them.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Hey john

I need to get the moisture level of the medium proper. Its all a Learning experience. Just read how deadly it can me especially to magnolia seed.
johnw

Post by johnw »

cp - What I meant was the moist bit you put in the plastic bag to stratify the seeds in the fridge. We wet live green sphagnum moss and then squeeze it out thoroughly. Some use wetted vermiculite, same principle. Check the moss' moisture level monthly as the seeds absorb moisture from the moss until they almost double in size. Now if you are speaking of the medium you finally plant the seed in that's another matter - moist, airy (perlite (poumice even better), some soil, peat & leaf compost, 2"deep in 3 inch deep pots and warmth, 22-25c Take 3-5 weeks to sprout, almost as if they require a warm strat. Do not put outside to grow for the summer untill really warm veg crops can go out.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I think I would like to stratify half of them in the fridge, and half of them in bags underneath the water barrels inside my greenhouse which has fluctuating temperatures, but the difference is that there is a natural variation in temperatures down there.

I do have live moss that can be used. I have them in dead spaghnum moss now, just slightly moistened.

They've only been in the vernalization process for 3-4 days so far, so it would take until February to reach 90 days which is about the right time to get them started for the spring.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Steve - Why tamper with the tried & true fridge method which works 100%? They don't want or need fluctuating temps which could cause them to swell and then get damaged (rot) by subsequent low temps.

johnw
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Those magnolia seeds have been in the fridge at 42F for 1 month now with no signs of mold or noticeable changes. I have them slightly moistened with live peat moss in zip lock bags. I guess this stuff has anti-fungal properties.

About half of the miracle berry trees look like they are up and going now.

This is not really a tree, but my amorphophallus titanum "titan arum" or corpse flower seedlings are coming along and finally starting to rise.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Steve - Your moss looks like woods moss. I found it does not hold much moisture but the peat you have in the bag would help with that.

We use live green sphagnum, moss from acid bogs. In the 1st World War doctors sometimes used in the field to wrap around severe wounds because of its antiseptic properties. It is perfect when chopped for sowing rhododendron seeds.

johnw - +5c and rising to 12c overnight, then what else, more rain.