indoors

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

indoors

Post by needmore »

Brought everything in in mid-Oct to avoid a potential frost that never came but all should be well acclimated by now. I planned way ahead for the lone bamboo by growing it in mostly shade all summer so when it came in there would be minimal transition and hopefully less leaf drop - this bamboo thus far has done the best ever with no leaf drop to speak of, a B. multiplex Silverstripe courtesy of Gene not real visible in the photos though. Cut a Phy rubromarginata pole to a sturdy 22' to span the room for hanging baskets.

thai1.jpg
thai.jpg

Can't recall the species but the large pink bell shape flowers are unimaginably LOUD with fragrance at night for 3-4 weeks now
pink.jpg
room1.jpg
room.jpg
Made a lamp from bamboo and native sandstone
lamp.jpg
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
canadianplant

Re: indoors

Post by canadianplant »

Really nice.setup. Whats in the aquarium?
needmore

Post by needmore »

I had goldfish outdoors breed and now have 2- 55gal, 1- 20gal tank for some of them that I could not give away... also have danios & platy in one of the tanks.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Sweet! I had fish for half my life and managed that department in a store. Great job, great hobby...

Glad to see im not the only one that has a jungle inside!
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I love that room!

How do the bananas that are away from the windows do? Seems like lower light than they'd need, although I suspect they probably stop growing while inside. I never thought about bringing a banana indoors as a houseplant for the winter -- going to try it though! :D
needmore

Post by needmore »

They're not fussy at all Alan and continue growing all winter, I've learned that they don't have to be near the glass, that whole room gets direct sun for some part of the day so that surely helps.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

I agree. Musa do good indoors for me, even in an east window .
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Every year, it seems like my amaryllis bulbs are the only things that have their best performance in February. They don't seem to require any more than north facing window light, and will flower pretty soon.

Here's my biggest one.

Something at this size will definitely flower either by summer or in another year.

These plants also seem to be pretty easy to grow from seed.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Update: It looks like amaryllis seeds are completely immune to pill bugs, millepedes, or fungus gnat larvae as these seedlings are completely avoided, and I know they are in there. I have read that they have a poisonous substance known as Lycorine so basically nothing will eat them unless they want to die from it.

Out of 50 seeds, 27 have shown up so far so it looks like they have an excellent germination rate.

That flowering stalk from last week is also over 1ft high now and should flower in the next 3-5 days.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Here's another update on the amaryllis. It made 5 flowers like usual, and I intend to leave the seed pods to dry up on the plant to see if the seeds are viable.

These little suckers at the bottom can get to flowering size in a year with good conditions

The amaryllis seedlings are starting to get over 3 inches tall, and should be putting out their 2nd leaves soon.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

The seed pods are starting to swell. I think they should be ready to harvest once they completely dry out.