Persicaria 'Red Dragon'

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

bamboothew
Location info: 0

Persicaria 'Red Dragon'

Post by bamboothew »

Just wanted to share pics of a very neat looking, vigourous, and hardy plant. This plant does not run, yet has formed an 8ft or so wide patch in 2 years from a single stem cutting. Highly recommended! As you can tell, it has a few flowers on it at the moment :)
uploadfromtaptalk1349885523753.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1349885504443.jpg
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Persicaria 'Red Dragon'

Post by Alan_L »

Um, wow. I certainly did not give my new one enough space then. :-)

Does is spread by stems rooting? If not, how?
bamboothew
Location info: 0

Re: Persicaria 'Red Dragon'

Post by bamboothew »

It will root stems but also, at least in my climate, it shoots several times during the summer and the clump gets a little wider each time it shoots--as a matter of fact it is shooting again now. It is a very close relative of Japanese Knotweed and grows just like it minus the running capability. It will propagate from tiny stem cuttings, leaf cuttings, and almost any piece of rhizome fingernail size or larger: the kind of plant I love :-)

I should also mention that mine is in full Sun and has been fertilized every time the bamboo has been fertilized, which has been almost every month during the growing season :grin:
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.